none
Unit Testing to be Run by Nondevelopers

Question

• I have unit testing working in VS on my local machine but I don't know how to allow for other people in the office to run the tests. Is there a way to have it run from a standalone windows or web app so that they can see the results but don't do any coding?

It's a C# Unit Test Project in .Net 4.5.2, by the way.
    • Edited by BartonL Wednesday, September 07, 2016 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, September 07, 2016 12:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I am just wondering what your core requirement is. Unit Tests are quite technical and running them manually for non developers is quite strange.

A common solution that is used: A Build Server is doing a build including running the unit tests on a defined schedule. And as a result you might get:
    - the build output
    - reports

But of course: All the "other" persons can also have a build environment and then they can execute the tests. Either all manually (e.g. getting latest version, starting all unit tests and then looking at the results) or through some scripts.

Maybe even a mixture of both could be done: You create some kind of a build server. But there is no schedule. Instead people have to start it through a script or tool. Even that is possible.

With kind regards,

Konrad Neitzel

Wednesday, September 07, 2016 5:35 PM
  • I was able to get a test environment using NUNIT. The testing is for a Backbaud application using UAT and this has been satisfactory.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 12:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am just wondering what your core requirement is. Unit Tests are quite technical and running them manually for non developers is quite strange.

A common solution that is used: A Build Server is doing a build including running the unit tests on a defined schedule. And as a result you might get:
    - the build output
    - reports

But of course: All the "other" persons can also have a build environment and then they can execute the tests. Either all manually (e.g. getting latest version, starting all unit tests and then looking at the results) or through some scripts.

Maybe even a mixture of both could be done: You create some kind of a build server. But there is no schedule. Instead people have to start it through a script or tool. Even that is possible.

With kind regards,

Konrad Neitzel

Wednesday, September 07, 2016 5:35 PM
  • I was able to get a test environment using NUNIT. The testing is for a Backbaud application using UAT and this has been satisfactory.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 12:14 PM