Update the existing infopath content type RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have some infopath forms in a SharePoint site. They were published as Site Content Type by using publishing wizard. They've been used smoothly in these couple of weeks.

Recently, I need to add some functionalities to the forms by adding some code behind. By this condition, they must be published as Administrator-approved form template. Unfortunately, by doing this kind of publishing, my previous published forms are not updated at all. They are created as completely different content type. Now, I have two content types with the same name in my site.

Actually, I can delete my old forms before publishing the new one, to prevent the duplication. But I'm afraid if all items that were created by using the old form won't be able to be opened in the future.

So, is there any way to update my old forms with the new one although I publish them differently?

Thanks,
    -frandi-
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:03 AM

Answers

• Hi frandi,

It is by design that when those new forms are published as Administrator-approved form template, they will be created as new content types. Delete the old content types will be a way but before the deletion I suggest you just remove the old content types and try to see if the old forms can be opened without error. If they can be opened successfully then delete old content types from your site.

Hope this helps.

Lu Zou

• Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, August 7, 2009 5:51 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2009 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi frandi,

It is by design that when those new forms are published as Administrator-approved form template, they will be created as new content types. Delete the old content types will be a way but before the deletion I suggest you just remove the old content types and try to see if the old forms can be opened without error. If they can be opened successfully then delete old content types from your site.

Hope this helps.

Lu Zou

• Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, August 7, 2009 5:51 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2009 8:54 AM
  • Thanks, Lu Zou.
    Now, I prefer to keep my old forms content type, because I think it's too risky to delete them (there're some application that're still using them anyway, i.e. CRM plugin). I choose to rename my new forms to make it completely different content type. Ough...much thing to do then :)

Thursday, August 6, 2009 9:22 AM