none
App Certification kit failure even with emptied 8.1 app

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to publish update to my app, but whatever I do, the App Certification Kit fails with error: 

• Error Found: The crashes and hangs test detected the following errors:
          • System.FormatException: String was not recognized as a valid DateTime. at System.DateTimeParse.Parse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles) at Microsoft.Windows.SoftwareLogo.Tests.WindowsErrorReporting.WindowsErrorReporting.CheckForReportedEvents() at Microsoft.Windows.SoftwareLogo.Tests.WindowsErrorReporting.WindowsErrorReporting.ExecutePostTest(TaskData taskData) at Microsoft.Windows.SoftwareLogo.Tests.WindowsErrorReporting.WindowsErrorReporting.ExecuteTest()
      • [HRESULT: 0x80131604]. Test operation failed: 'ExecuteTest'.
    • Impact if not fixed: An app that stops responding or crashes can cause data loss and is a poor user experience.
    • How to fix: Investigate and debug the app to identify and fix the problem. 

Now the interesting part is that I've now gone as far as removed ALL code (both C# and XAML) from my app (needless to say it succeeded the cert kit back in the days when I published it), still I get this error. Before removing all code, there wasn't even a single place where I was using Parse or TryParse with DateTime.

I'm now attempting compiling the app on Windows 10 using Visual Studio 2015, when earlier I was developing it on Windows 8.1 with Visual Studio 2013 without these issues.

How would I go about debugging what can be causing this issue? I'd be happy to email over the cleaned SLN upon request if it would help.

• Edited by Jussi Palo Monday, August 17, 2015 3:07 PM
    Monday, August 17, 2015 3:04 PM

Answers

• I had this same issue also when building on Windows 10 with Visual Studio 2015. As I didn't find anything wrong in my code as it was not even doing any datetime parsing I suspected that the tool itself might have some problem. I changed my operating system date and time format from Finnish to English (United States) and rerun the verification tool. This time the verification passed without the mentioned FormatException error.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Jussi Palo Friday, August 21, 2015 10:50 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2015 10:41 AM

All replies

• I had this same issue also when building on Windows 10 with Visual Studio 2015. As I didn't find anything wrong in my code as it was not even doing any datetime parsing I suspected that the tool itself might have some problem. I changed my operating system date and time format from Finnish to English (United States) and rerun the verification tool. This time the verification passed without the mentioned FormatException error.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Jussi Palo Friday, August 21, 2015 10:50 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2015 10:41 AM
  • Thanks Mika, that did the trick!
    Friday, August 21, 2015 10:51 AM
  • I had the same issue running App Cert Manager in Windows 10 (Norwegian) on a WinRT universal app (8.1). Palo's answer worked great. Microsoft, please fix this issue so people don't waste time looking for non-existing datetime errors.
    Saturday, August 29, 2015 5:30 PM