none
Revamping the desktop lending library template RRS feed

• Question

• I'd forgotten that MS offers a number of templates to modify for use, and I just got a hold of the desktop lending library accdb file and the associated template file.

It seems like a good fit for a not-too-difficult-to-use library system for my workplace, but there are a few details that I need to edit. However, because of the pre-existing relationships and structure, I don't know where to begin editing the database to fit my needs.

Can someone advise? Many thanks in advance! :)

Thursday, December 10, 2015 2:33 AM

Answers

• For example, in the assets list, I don't need the following columns: Owner, Retired Date, Action. However, if I delete these fields I get an error referencing Retired Date and I can't save the table. Curiously, there is no relationship binding Retired Date to any other table (as far as I can tell).

EDITS

Just delete from set visibility to NO in the form and leave them in the tables UNLESS something is a 'required' field. If need be you can rearrange them on the form.

Start by just loading in the fields you need and see if there are any errors cropping up. 

Build a little, test a little

Thursday, December 10, 2015 4:34 AM

All replies

• I doubt that someone can unless you provide details such as what does the template not do that you need?

Thursday, December 10, 2015 2:37 AM
  • I doubt that someone can unless you provide details such as what does the template not do that you need?

Thanks for pointing that out, Karl.

The template has more or less everything I need to set up the system: a table and form to key in the details of library users like their name, contact number and email, among other things (we don't do library cards, as the Clinical Research Centre I work in provides reference materials to any hospital staff who might need it for their research; previously, there was never a database to handle the movement of books and other reading materials);  a table and form for all the items we have in the library, with a listing of the item type (i.e. book, journal, article paper, etc.) and other details (title, author(s), publisher, etc.); and reports that list a whole bunch of things like 'items by borrower', 'damaged assets', etc.

What I want to do is edit the database accordingly to be used as a proper clinical research library system. The MS template is actually used for listing assets within a company, whose assets are those, and who wants to borrow assets, that kind of thing.  I can change the label names easily, but when it comes to the existing relationships between tables, I'm not sure how to preserve them while making the edits I need.

For example, in the assets list, I don't need the following columns: Owner, Retired Date, Action. However, if I delete these fields I get an error referencing Retired Date and I can't save the table. Curiously, there is no relationship binding Retired Date to any other table (as far as I can tell).

I'll try to upload the original template and share it in a while. I hope my explanation above clarifies the situation. Thanks again.

UPDATE: Here's the link - http://1drv.ms/1Qxe7rh
    • Edited by calvynius92 Thursday, December 10, 2015 4:18 AM Added extra content
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 3:53 AM
  • For example, in the assets list, I don't need the following columns: Owner, Retired Date, Action. However, if I delete these fields I get an error referencing Retired Date and I can't save the table. Curiously, there is no relationship binding Retired Date to any other table (as far as I can tell).

EDITS

Just delete from set visibility to NO in the form and leave them in the tables UNLESS something is a 'required' field. If need be you can rearrange them on the form.

Start by just loading in the fields you need and see if there are any errors cropping up. 

Thursday, December 10, 2015 4:34 AM