Using RoamingSettings produces RPC server unavailable & not enough storage available

Question

• When I add the following line to my code:

auto prefsSets = Windows::Storage::ApplicationData::Current->RoamingSettings->Containers;

I get the following error messages:

First-chance exception at 0x76F94B32 (KernelBase.dll) in DraftUX.exe: 0x000006BA: The RPC server is unavailable.
    First-chance exception at 0x76F94B32 (KernelBase.dll) in DraftUX.exe: 0x0000000E: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

If I change from RoamingSettings to LocalSettings, the errors disappear.  I checked, and RoamingStorageQuota is 100, which I would think was enough space for a container with two booleans.  Is the message about the storage due to the RPC server being unavailable?  Why am I getting the message about the RPC server being unavailable?

Thanks,
    Andrea

Andrea Mantler

Monday, March 25, 2013 3:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

To make sure if your codes caused this error, you can test this sample codes
    http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/ApplicationData-sample-fb043eb2

Windows roams app data opportunistically and doesn't guarantee an instant sync. In scenarios where a user is offline or on a high latency network, roaming could be delayed significantly. For important, time critical settings a special high priority settings unit is available that provides more frequent updates. It is limited to one specific settings unit that must be named “HighPriority”. It can be a composite, but the total size is limited to 8KB. This limit is not enforced and the setting unit or setting composite will be treated as a regular setting unit or a composite in case the limit is exceeded.

This is the limit of roaming data, please take a look of
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/hh464917.aspx#roaming_app_data

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, April 01, 2013 1:36 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:07 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, Jesse.  Interestingly, the sample app you linked to gave me the same errors, plus two more:

First-chance exception at 0x76F94B32 (KernelBase.dll) in ApplicationDataSample.exe: 0x000006BA: The RPC server is unavailable.
    First-chance exception at 0x76F94B32 (KernelBase.dll) in ApplicationDataSample.exe: 0x0000000E: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.
    First-chance exception at 0x76F94B32 in ApplicationDataSample.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: Platform::DisconnectedException ^ at memory location 0x008FF53C. HRESULT:0x80010108
    First-chance exception at 0x76F94B32 (KernelBase.dll) in ApplicationDataSample.exe: 0x40080201: WinRT originate error (parameters: 0x80010108, 0x00000037, 0x008FE9D4).

This was using Scenerio 5, DataChanged Event.  Scenerio 6, Roaming High Priority, gives:

First-chance exception at 0x76F94B32 (KernelBase.dll) in ApplicationDataSample.exe: 0x000006BA: The RPC server is unavailable.
    First-chance exception at 0x76F94B32 (KernelBase.dll) in ApplicationDataSample.exe: 0x0000000E: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

Same thing for Scenerio 8, Clear.  I don't need high priority, this is just for basic preferences that the user sets in our app, so that they don't have to re-set preferences on each device.

I'm logged into my computer using a local (company) account... could that be the issue?  Is there a way to link a local account to a MS account?

Cheers,
    Andrea

Andrea Mantler

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Yes, please connect with MS account, you can setting as follow.
    Press Win + C-> Settings -> Change PC Settings -> Users ->Add a User

The detail steps, take a look of
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mvpawardprogram/archive/2012/11/19/mvp-monday-add-or-remove-users-from-windows-8.aspx

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:46 AM
  • This explains how to create a new user, not how to join an existing user and MS account, or to add MS account information to an existing account.  Is this possible?

Does this mean that roaming settings just don't work with non-MS accounts?

Cheers,
    Andrea

Andrea Mantler

Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Roaming settings do not work without a Microsoft account. You should be able to link the local account to a Microsoft account by doing: "Win + C -> Settings -> Change PC Settings -> Users -> Switch to a Microsoft account" and following the instructions. For more info, see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/03/07/win8-howto-7-switch-between-windows-accounts-and-local-accounts.aspx .

XNA/DirectX MVP | Website | Blog | @mikebmcl

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, April 01, 2013 1:36 AM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:53 PM
  • Yep, that cleared up the errors, thanks!

Andrea Mantler

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 6:10 PM