Are there any 'best practices' for the shutdown or reboot of a machine running SQL Server 2014? RRS feed

• Question

• For occasions where we might need to shutdown or reboot our server running SQL Server 2014, are there any preferred or best practices?  Any services I need to stop before shutting down, or similar?

Or can I just issue shutdown /r from the command prompt or powershell and not worry about it?

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 11:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Depending on what environment your SQL Server is, you need to know who is affected and let them know about the downtime for the server and organise a maintenance window to re-start your SQL server. Also good to check is the activity on the server and make sure there are no critical stuff/ current maintenance jobs running before the reboot is performed. It all depends from organization to organization as the requirements varies.

Any services I need to stop before shutting down, or similar?

I don't think of anything specific. You can just reboot normally unless there is something un-usual with your environment.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Bhanu  

• Edited by bhanu_nz Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by bpoindexter Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:42 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Depending on what environment your SQL Server is, you need to know who is affected and let them know about the downtime for the server and organise a maintenance window to re-start your SQL server. Also good to check is the activity on the server and make sure there are no critical stuff/ current maintenance jobs running before the reboot is performed. It all depends from organization to organization as the requirements varies.

Any services I need to stop before shutting down, or similar?

I don't think of anything specific. You can just reboot normally unless there is something un-usual with your environment.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Bhanu  

• Edited by bhanu_nz Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by bpoindexter Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:42 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:24 AM
  • Understood, and clearly we would not reboot our database server while it was in use if there were any alternatives.

At this time we are implementing Dynamics CRM, but we are still in development.  Nothing is in production use, so we don't have a need to schedule downtime when no one is using it.  My understanding from your comments is that since we are not in production, a standard shutdown or reboot of Windows would be an acceptable procedure, barring anything unusual with our environment, of which there is nothing that I can think of.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:42 AM
  • Well yes if its Development and you know whats is running whats not and if its good to shutdown/reboot then just go for it. Post starting server, SQL will do the recovery ( Red/Undo phases) as part of its standard process and will bring DB engine online.

Regards Gursethi Blog: http://gursethi.blogspot.com/ ++++ Please mark "Propose As Answer" if my answer helped ++++

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:54 AM