Changing page name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, www.mhtrans.com This site is live and I want to change the http://www.mhtrans.com/index-2.html to mhtrans.com/services and here's why. When I search for "mh trans" in yahoo the second result links to mhtrans.com/services which links to a now defunct site. (Google simply returns www.mhtrans.com so no issue there). I was thinking that changing the page name would be a good solution but I was wondering how complex that would be. Will the change propagate throughout the site if I simply change the name in EW? Or is the better option to wait until yahoo's engine stops returning that result? Thanks
    Thanks, Chris
    • Edited by CHHF Thursday, February 3, 2011 6:47 PM grammar
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 6:45 PM

Answers

• In the link mhtrans.com/services  services is a folder.

Create a folder named services and place a default page ( index.html ) in it and when mhtrans.com/services is clicked the page will open.

Expression Web MVP
    • Marked as answer by CHHF Monday, February 14, 2011 2:22 AM
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:50 PM
  • You should set up 301 redirects if pages change names, so search engines know to make the change.

If you change a file name within EW, it makes the changes in links to that page, too.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:59 PM

All replies

• In the link mhtrans.com/services  services is a folder.

Create a folder named services and place a default page ( index.html ) in it and when mhtrans.com/services is clicked the page will open.

Expression Web MVP
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:50 PM
  • You should set up 301 redirects if pages change names, so search engines know to make the change.

If you change a file name within EW, it makes the changes in links to that page, too.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Thanks. I've waited to see what will happen regarding Yahoo's search results and it has since disappeared. After speaking with Yahoo!, a second time & after I posted this, I was convinced to give it time. But thanks for the advice & suggestions. This is a great resource and I appreciate your taking the time to help. Chris
    Thanks, Chris
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:19 AM
  • Now I'm uncertain which response to mark as my "answer". I'll try and mark both.
    Thanks, Chris (btw, I would have tried the first response first)
    • Edited by CHHF Monday, February 14, 2011 2:24 AM added info
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:22 AM