Windows 8 fails to boot after configuring Hyper-V Virtual Switch, missing Winload.exe

General discussion

• After configuring a new Hyper-V Virtual Switch, I lost network connectivity on the Guest (as expected) and internet/network connectivity on the Host (not expected).
    I Restarted and received startup Error:

Windows Recovery Environment
    Your PC needs to be repaired
    The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.
    File:\\windows\system32\winload.exe
    Error code: 0xc000000e
    Your PC doesn't have the Windows Recovery Environment installed. You'll need to use the Recovery Tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disk or USB Device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.
    Press Enter to try again
    Press F9 to use a different operating system.

Screen capture of error:

I pressed F9 and found an additional OS Choices menu option that was not there before. The one labeled "Windows Developer Preview,  \Device\HarddiskVolume1"
    Note: The "Windows Setup" selection is there because I installed Windows 8 from a install Flat on a secondary partition, so Windows setup added it to the OS choices menu.

Screen capture of New unexpected OS Choices Menu option:

Selecting the additional Boot menu option allowed the system to boot properly.

• Edited by BranM Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:03 PM correcting typo
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:03 PM