none
Remove CommandBar created by an Addin in Word/Outlook 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have installed an Office 2003 Add-in, then uninstalled it, but unfortunately I still seeing the menu created by the Add-in in the Word and Outllok menu bar.

I tried Tools -> Customize, and there I can remove the submenus, but not the main one.

Do you know how to manually remove it permanently?

Thanks in advanced.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Daniel

In that case, it's over-written Normal.dot.

Tools/Customize should also let you remove the main menu, if we're understanding the same thing under that term.

As a last resort you can click "Reset" on the Toolbars tab, but you could end up losing other customizations if you do that.

You might also try opening Normal.dot directly, then Tools/Customize.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel

It sounds as if this add-in may have copied a template (*.dot) to your STARTUP folder. Go to Tools/Templates and Add-ins and look in the list box (bottom half of the dialog box). What do you see listed there? Do any of the file names look like they could be related to this add-in? If they do, see if unchecking the box next to it removes the menu.

If that's the case, then we've located which template. Now close Word and search that template on your system (make sure you're searching hidden folders). When you find it, you can move it somewhere else or delete it, as you deem best.

The next time you start Word the menu entries should not be loaded.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:20 PM
  • Hi Cindy, 

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately the Tools/Templates --> Add-ins list box is empty.

I'm sure that the Add-in created the commands programatically, using the following (I readed the code):

cmdBarControl = commandBar.Controls.Add(
      Office.MsoControlType.msoControlPopup, 
      System.Type.Missing, 
      System.Type.Missing, 
      controlCount, 
      true);

if (cmdBarControl != null)
    {
     //add submenus
    }

So, my question is. It seems that this menus are not stored in the template. Where they are stored? I searched the registry also without luck.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:13 AM
  • Hi Daniel

In that case, it's over-written Normal.dot.

Tools/Customize should also let you remove the main menu, if we're understanding the same thing under that term.

As a last resort you can click "Reset" on the Toolbars tab, but you could end up losing other customizations if you do that.

You might also try opening Normal.dot directly, then Tools/Customize.

• Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:42 PM