general information for downloaders

Question

• I completed a successful download of the window 8 Development preview, and after tweeking and browsing the OS, I found it to be impressive, but there is one fatal flaw with this download, and that is, during the installation, there is a menu that has a non-delete or uncheck feature stating the word " remove " relating to totally deleting all your previous OS ( windows 7 ) operating system. The phrase is very misleading, as I would not have continued if I new this would be a new install and the installation did not provide a " Old Windows " file in the new OS. There needs to be a option offered, as when you click on the clear button for this option, nothing happens and thus so, I lost everything in my windows & and all contents. I did not have a back up, and that is totally my fault. I did attempt to install the development preview to a virtual drive as an iso. but it did not work...
    John Haskins
    Monday, December 5, 2011 5:03 AM

Answers

• It is pre-Beta version and installation screen is still in design process and it will be very simple and easy. What you are going to see in installation experiance is something like this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/11/21/improving-the-setup-experience.aspx

And it is beta process and things are going to be improve , this is pre-Beta version and it design to just let you know about direction of Windows , the improvement is still in process.

• Marked as answer by jhaskins75 Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:23 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Hello jhaskins75,

I think you shall be needing your Windows7 disk, your Recovery Partition, if you had one and it's not deleted, or you may have to contact your PC manufacturer to get back your previous OS. One needs to Custom Install WDP, select Advanced Options and choose the drive to install it on, in a dual-boot scenario like yours.
    "To go back to your previous operating system, you must reinstall it from restore or installation media. A clean install is supported on all builds, but you can upgrade if you are installing a download without the developer tools. You will receive the full set of migration options when setup is launched in Windows. To dual-boot, you must first boot from media and choose an alternative partition."

Irfan
    • Marked as answer by jhaskins75 Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by jhaskins75 Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:23 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 2:50 PM

All replies

• It is pre-Beta version and installation screen is still in design process and it will be very simple and easy. What you are going to see in installation experiance is something like this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/11/21/improving-the-setup-experience.aspx

And it is beta process and things are going to be improve , this is pre-Beta version and it design to just let you know about direction of Windows , the improvement is still in process.

Monday, December 5, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Hello jhaskins75,

I think you shall be needing your Windows7 disk, your Recovery Partition, if you had one and it's not deleted, or you may have to contact your PC manufacturer to get back your previous OS. One needs to Custom Install WDP, select Advanced Options and choose the drive to install it on, in a dual-boot scenario like yours.
    "To go back to your previous operating system, you must reinstall it from restore or installation media. A clean install is supported on all builds, but you can upgrade if you are installing a download without the developer tools. You will receive the full set of migration options when setup is launched in Windows. To dual-boot, you must first boot from media and choose an alternative partition."

Irfan
    • Marked as answer by jhaskins75 Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by jhaskins75 Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:23 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 2:50 PM