locked
Visual Studio 2005 SP1 consuming 50% cpu RRS feed

  • Question

  • Symptoms are open VS 2005 SP1, open a project view the code and cpu hits 50% and hourglass on and responds very slowly if at all.

    Things I've tried disabling antivirus.

    Looking at the process threads using sysinternals process monitor.  This shows MSCR80.dll consuming the cpu.  Start Address is defined as MSVCR80.dll!endthreadex+0x61, CPU 51 CSwitch Delta 799, Kernel Time 00:01:25, User time 00:07:37 and counting.

    Have had look in the forums and followed a suggestion relating to one of the options but with no luck.

    It is becoming unworkable.

    Can anyone help?

    BenW

    Saturday, February 10, 2007 4:43 PM

Answers

  • Dear all this problem has been resolved with a little help from SysInternals FileMon.

    Switching this on revealed a file being repeatedly read and written to "ExpansionsXML.xml"

    This file is located in C:\Documents and Settings\<useraccount>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\1033 and stores code snippets.

    To resolve the problem I removed all my imported snippets to leave only the ones the product shipped with.  This was done though the IDE.  Note just deleting the file does not resolve the problem.

    It would also explain why uninstalling and reinstalling the whole of Visual Studio Team Suite did not resolve the problem as this file is not being removed on an uninstall.

    Something that others may also encounter and something the product team should look into.

    BenW

     

    Friday, February 16, 2007 6:21 PM

All replies

  • Dear all this problem has been resolved with a little help from SysInternals FileMon.

    Switching this on revealed a file being repeatedly read and written to "ExpansionsXML.xml"

    This file is located in C:\Documents and Settings\<useraccount>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\1033 and stores code snippets.

    To resolve the problem I removed all my imported snippets to leave only the ones the product shipped with.  This was done though the IDE.  Note just deleting the file does not resolve the problem.

    It would also explain why uninstalling and reinstalling the whole of Visual Studio Team Suite did not resolve the problem as this file is not being removed on an uninstall.

    Something that others may also encounter and something the product team should look into.

    BenW

     

    Friday, February 16, 2007 6:21 PM
  • Thank you for the solution!  I was having the same problem, and it turned out that VS was thrashing that ExtensionsXML.xml file, and that it had somehow gotten the idea that there was an entire directory structure to search for snippets.  I removed everything but what I was using, and all of a sudden I can save again (without waiting for five minutes afterwards).  Sure, it took a few days of searching to find the fix, but thanks to filemon (and a lot of five minute breaks while VS saved), I found it Smile
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:38 PM