none
WordML 2003 with Open Bookmark tags Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have XML templates created in Word 2003 with open bookmarks which are not supported by MS anymore. We have about more than 14000 templates in our system. We need to migrate them to Word 2010 now.

As the open markups are not supported anymore, we are trying to replace them with Content controls. As the number of templates is very huge, it has to be automated by a custom tool. For this I need to find a way where I can read the old XML and replace the open bookmarks with content controls (sdt). Issue I've is that if you replace them the document doesn't open saying that the XML is invalid with some errors.

I cannot open the document and save as 2010 Word XML, as it results in loss of all the bookmarks.

Please suggest any approach that is feasible here.

-- VG

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:30 AM

Answers

• Hi VG

Could you please be more specific about what is meant by "open bookmarks" and "open markups"? Word should not lose its own bookmarks...

FWIW the WordProcessingML files created by Word 2003 cannot contain content controls. Content controls were introduced after that file format was introduced and are not supported by it. So Word won't be able to successfully open a WordProcessing file where you've inserted content controls.

So you will need to convert these files to the new file format, in one way or another. And if you need to go from the 2003 format to the Open XML format you'll essentially need to "transform" the WordProcessingML to a Word Open XMl *.dotx. Depending on the complexity of these templates, this may not be a trivial undertaking.

Before you delve into what would be required, you might want to take a look at the tool described in this blog article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericwhite/archive/2008/09/19/bulk-convert-doc-to-docx.aspx

The tool talks about converting from *.doc to *.docx, but it apparently supports many other file formats, as well.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hi VG

Could you please be more specific about what is meant by "open bookmarks" and "open markups"? Word should not lose its own bookmarks...

FWIW the WordProcessingML files created by Word 2003 cannot contain content controls. Content controls were introduced after that file format was introduced and are not supported by it. So Word won't be able to successfully open a WordProcessing file where you've inserted content controls.

So you will need to convert these files to the new file format, in one way or another. And if you need to go from the 2003 format to the Open XML format you'll essentially need to "transform" the WordProcessingML to a Word Open XMl *.dotx. Depending on the complexity of these templates, this may not be a trivial undertaking.

Before you delve into what would be required, you might want to take a look at the tool described in this blog article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericwhite/archive/2008/09/19/bulk-convert-doc-to-docx.aspx

The tool talks about converting from *.doc to *.docx, but it apparently supports many other file formats, as well.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:36 AM
  • Hi Cindy

When I said 'Open Bookmarks', I was referring to the xml tags referred in the below link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2445060

Currently all our templates are 2003 Word ML (.xml) files. We have a custom defined schema which we use to add these XML tags to the template. And these tags will be merged with data to render the final document which is WordML.  I think the above tool that you mentioned would convert the .doc files to .docx but not the XML, if I'm not wrong.

--VG

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:06 AM
  • Hi VG

OK, I believe I understand, now, what you've got.

Word 2007 (and, I believe, 2010) should retain the XML nodes when the *.xml file is opened, but once it's been converted and closed again, the XML nodes will be removed the next time it's opened. One an "original release" Word 2007 system it would also be possible to re-open the documents without losing the nodes.

Whether the bulk conversion utility I mentioned can open WordProcessingMl documents, that I don't know. And I can't find any detailed information about which file formats it supports. I would expect Word's *.xml format to be one of them, as the tool was developed for Office 2007 to aid with conversion from 2003 to 2007. The TechNet forums for IT professionals might be able to answer that one. Someone there may even still have it installed.

If the answer is YES, then I think that would definitely be the way to go: do a bulk conversion of (copies of) all the files. Then use the Open XML sDK (or any other technology) to go through and insert content controls and remove the xml nodes.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:09 PM