none
IDTExtensibility2 - How to implement RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to implement the IDTExtensibility2 interface in order to track the Shutdown of Outlook 2010 since ThisAddin_Shutdown is not called and because of that cannot be used anymore. I've implemented the interface to a class but it seems that the onBeginShutdown is never called. Do i have to register these method anywhere?

What I'm trying to do is, I want to iterate over a collection of folders and store information of them into a xml structure. I've already tried to use Application.Quit but this event fires too late and i do not gain access to the Outlook folders.

It would be great if you could support me on this topic.

Thanks in advance,

Fabian

• Edited by FabianLuft Friday, June 1, 2012 7:40 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 7:39 AM

Answers

• Hello Fabian,

That event is not called in Outlook 2010. As to why this occurs and what workarounds exist, see Outlook 2010 Fast Shutdown feature.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

• Marked as answer by FabianLuft Friday, June 1, 2012 11:00 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hello Fabian,

That event is not called in Outlook 2010. As to why this occurs and what workarounds exist, see Outlook 2010 Fast Shutdown feature.

Andrei Smolin

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

• Marked as answer by FabianLuft Friday, June 1, 2012 11:00 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 8:57 AM
  • Hello Andrei,

thanks for your quick reply and for the link you provided. I've got a question on this. I would like to use the second way mentioned on this page. As it seems to me this is based on a class written by ADX, am I right? Do I have to purchase any kind of software or is there an other possiblity? I'm a little bit confused right now, how to deal with this problem.

Regards,

Fabian

Friday, June 1, 2012 9:08 AM
  • you can either add entry in registry for your add-in to tell outlook to call your shutdown event or you can in startup event subscribe to Quit event on application
    Friday, June 1, 2012 9:48 AM
  • There's no need to buy Add-in Express in order to intercept the Application.Quit event.

Andrei Smolin

Friday, June 1, 2012 10:12 AM
  • Hello Andrei,

thanks for your reply this was the missing piece of the puzzle. I've already tried to use Application.Quit but had some problems with this, but now everything seems to be working.

Kind regards,

Fabian

Friday, June 1, 2012 11:00 AM