Database Mirror with SQL 2005 Standard and Enterprie Editions RRS feed

• Question

• Can I do a database mirror from my primary server running SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition and my secondary server running SQL 2005 Standard Edtition? Both servers are located in different states and how?
    Friday, July 11, 2008 2:55 PM

Answers

Friday, July 11, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Witness server is used to support automatic failover. If you have witness server and configured database mirroring in high availability mode. If your pricipal database is down then an automatic failover happens so that the mirror server becomes the new principal and you can redirect your applications here and keep working. Refer this link for more info,
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/dbmirror.mspx

- Deepak
    Friday, July 11, 2008 11:55 PM
  • All replies

Friday, July 11, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Witness server is used to support automatic failover. If you have witness server and configured database mirroring in high availability mode. If your pricipal database is down then an automatic failover happens so that the mirror server becomes the new principal and you can redirect your applications here and keep working. Refer this link for more info,
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/dbmirror.mspx

- Deepak
    Friday, July 11, 2008 11:55 PM
  • Hi Deepak,

Can you look at the below thread and provide me some solution

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3630317&SiteID=17&mode=1

Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Can you provide me with a link describing the differences between SQL Replication and SQL Database Mirroring?

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:43 PM
  •  

Database Mirroring is an official high availability mechanism for SQL Server.  When configuring database mirroring with the high availability option,  it is possible to achieve high availability for a specific database on a SQL server system.  The failover between the principal and mirror database is automatic and depending on which client you are using the users or application can automatically fail over and reconnect from the principal to the mirroring in the event of a failure;.  Basically this is a HOT failover technology.

Replication at times is classified as a high availability mechanism, however, I would use it more for distributing data between one or more SQL Server instances.  SQL Server 2005 introduced peer-to-peer replication which allows two databases to be online, both accept transactions and transactional replication takes place between the scenes synchronizing the two databases. In comparison, it does not support automatic failover nor client redirect. 

Use Replication for distributing data and Mirroring, and or Clustering for HA. 

For more information reference books online documentation included with SQL Server 2005

Topic - High Availability
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:27 AM
  • everyone keep saying for more information reference books online documentation. Where is this books online documentation, how do I get to it?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:13 PM
  • You can download and install BOL, refer the link below
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:51 PM
  • I have one more question for you guys & gals. Can I use SQL Database mirror from one server to the other via the internet and use the secondary server to function as the primary server? In other words  Server A is the primary server and Server B is the mirror mirror server. Can I use the secondary server to run all SQL queries from my website? I guess that would mean that I will make my mirror server act as my primary.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:57 PM
  • I would not recommend tunnelling over the internet unless you have a dedicated point-to-point private nework using IPSec.  It would make sense to go over the corporate network as I am assuming it is much more secure. 

If you need to failover, then yes, the mirror server will become the principal server and it can service client requests.  Otherwise, the mirrored server is in a standby mode and can not service client requests nor reports.  However, it is possible to take point-in-time snapshot on the mirror which can be accessed for read-only reporting purposes.

Thanks

Ross

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:23 PM
  • just want to make sure I understand this correctly. I do understand by taking a point-in-time snapshot on the mirror and having reports etc. accessed from that server. Is there anyway I can have clients requests go to that mirror server instaed of the primary server for the requests? I know ths will work if the primary server goes down or offline etc. but I want both of them up at the same time.

Example:

Primary SQL 2005 Server running in Chicago and mirror server running in Dallas. The webserver is in Dallas with the mirror SQL server. So for performance reasons since the website is located in the office with the webserver I would like for clients requests to go to the mirror server rather then going to the primary server in Chicago. Does that make sense and can that be done?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:24 PM