Answers

All replies

• Yes.
    dni
    • Marked as answer by Larry_Nuñez Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:04 PM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Hi Eriawan

>> But it's not officially supported on Windows 7.<<

Huh? How did you came up with that misinterpretation? That very same website you mentioned shows "Fully Compatible" for VFP9.

There are two gotchas when _installing_ the development system, but those are mainly shortcomings from the installer itself: You cannot visually create a new directory when asked for the location to install (just type the new path in, or create it before in Explorer).
    And on a clean Win7 there's no MSXML2 installed, which VFP uses for the TaskPane.  Solution: Just run the VFP9 Runtime-Installer from ftp.prolib.de/public/ before or after installing VFP9 itself, and you get all the missing parts.

After the first installation of VFP9 you need to immediately install SP2 from

and then the latest hotfix from

as well as several other components from http://VFPX.codeplex.com :</FO NT>
    the fixed Helpfile, the FoxPro Foundation Classes, the SCCTextX file, the xSource files (which incorporate some faster Report-Apps) and all the other fancy stuff there.

wOOdy
    Microsoft Visual FoxPro Technology Advisor
    Microsoft "Most Valuable Professional" from 1996 to 2009
    Visit my XING profile! Don't know what XING is?

*´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´. (¸.·` *
    .·`.Visual FoxPro: It's magic !
    (¸.·``··*

Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:08 AM
  • Hi Eriawan

>> But it's not officially supported on Windows 7.<<

Huh? How did you came up with that misinterpretation? That very same website you mentioned shows "Fully Compatible" for VFP9.

There are two gotchas when _installing_ the development system, but those are mainly shortcomings from the installer itself: You cannot visually create a new directory when asked for the location to install (just type the new path in, or create it before in Explorer).
    And on a clean Win7 there's no MSXML2 installed, which VFP uses for the TaskPane.  Solution: Just run the VFP9 Runtime-Installer from ftp.prolib.de/public/ before or after installing VFP9 itself, and you get all the missing parts.

After the first installation of VFP9 you need to immediately install SP2 from

and then the latest hotfix from

as well as several other components from http://VFPX.codeplex.com :</FO NT>
    the fixed Helpfile, the FoxPro Foundation Classes, the SCCTextX file, the xSource files (which incorporate some faster Report-Apps) and all the other fancy stuff there.

wOOdy

Yes, it's officially listed as supported, but not truly supported.

It's against the known requirement of Visual Foxpro 9 and even SP1 and SP2 of Visual Foxpro 9. The website I quote is now being evaluated as a result of the feedback on the note of supported "Visual Foxpro 9" for Windows 7. It even mentioned two 32-bit flavors, and it's truly error.

To be exact, the  requirement of supported OS as mentioned in the VFP 9 SP 2 download page is:

System Requirements

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2; Windows Vista; Windows XP Service Pack 2
    Requires either:

• Visual FoxPro 9.0, or

• Visual FoxPro 9.0 SP1

It should be clearer enough, that even SP 2 itself doesn't guarantee/mention of Windows 7. This is why I said "not officially supported". I believe there's inconsistencies in Windows 7 compatibility center website. The download page and the MSDN's Visual Foxpro website is absolutely "more official" than others, even from the same Microsoft.

Your solution of installing the unsupported MSXML2, is not quite fit for me. Because MSXML2 itself is not supported anymore by Microsoft, even though you can still download and use it. And installing MSXML2 on Windows 7 requires me to escalate UAS as Administrator, which is also not quite a good idea for me.

By the way, I'm still fan of Visual Foxpro 8 and 9, even though I have to install them on Windows XP SP3 machines to ensure they're installed for the best officially supported OS, even though Windows XP SP3 itself isn't supported by Microsoft anymore. 

My company developers are still targeting software development for Visual Foxpro 8/9, even though more applications are now being developed using .NET 3.5. There are many advantages of developing in Foxpro that .NET can't compete directly, such as being data centric language, instead of multipurpose nature of C# and VB.NET. This fact itself is still a key factor of developing data centric applications rapidly, although now .NET has LINQ as a bridge to a data centric programming world.

best regards,

Eriawan
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:53 AM
  • 
    Hi Eriawan

Do you really expect that Microsoft will constantly change all requirement-references of any (!) product to include newer OS?

>> It's against the known requirement <<
    No, you're wrong. The non-listing of a newer OS doesn't automatically dictate that it is not allowed or not working.

>> Your solution of installing the unsupported MSXML2 <<
    Again: This setup is an official part of the VFP9 Setup-CD, thus it was ok at that time. Just because MS doesn't change or update that version of XML-Parser anymore doen't make it obsolete or nonsupported or dangerous.

>> installing MSXML2 on Windows 7 requires me to escalate UAS as Administrator
    Any program installation needs that. I don't know what's the problem with that.

>> I have to install them on Windows XP SP3 machines to ensure they're installed for the best officially supported OS, even though Windows XP SP3 itself isn't supported by Microsoft anymore. <<

It seems you're kind of a masochist? ;) Yes you can even work with Windows 2000, if it makes you happy.... But supporting and testing for customers running on Vista or Win7 will be quite like a walk in the dark.

And, just to get the message through: A collegue of mine just got the official "Compatible with Windows 7" logo for his VFP9 app. Yes, a VFP9 application can get certified to be Win7 compatible. See http://www.microsoft..com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=27028822-b172-4cec-91a3-26b610a4da79 for more information on the requirements.

wOOdy

*´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´. (¸.·` *
    .·`.Visual FoxPro: It's magic !
    (¸.·``··*

Friday, February 26, 2010 6:22 PM
  • What you need to keep in mind is that was written long before Windows 7. That does NOT mean that VFP is unsupported on Windows 7. But what difference does it make? It runs on Windows 7 and runs well. What more do you need?

Craig Berntson
    MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP
    INETA Regional Speaker
    www.craigberntson.com
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Craig:

I have been reading around for info on compatibility of Visual Foxpro under W7 and your comments here have been very helpful.  As one who is reluctantly admitting to getting closer to the point where learning new languages has very little attraction (comes the time when one starts to give in to age and start saying "what's the point"), it's frustrating to think that theing to dump all I wealth of knowledge I have in xBase is about to become useless!  I have looked at Access and, although it seems good at doing some things, I'm not impressed with it's flexibililty, although I kind of accept that might be down to the time I have spent with it.

I am still working on VFP6 at the moment and was planning to upgrade.  Will VFP9 keep me going for a few more years (until my specs are so think I can't see the screen anyway)?  Or is there someone else's offering that is similar enough to slide on over without having start all over again?

I also wonder if there is a similar product available for the Linux world?

Monday, June 14, 2010 8:53 PM
  • For another few more years, Windows 7 32 bits wouldn't have any problems with VFP. Windows 7 32/64 bits already have problems, some are serious and waiting for an hotfix from MS and most have workarounds. So there is no easy yes or no answer. It all depends on what you are doing. VFP already have problems and bugs that are not corrected under XP 32 bits if we are good to live with it and work witin those limits then yes you could use VFP on windows 7 for another few and maybe more years. 
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:29 AM
  • Woody, you have made my day. I had been dreading moving from Vista Ultimate to Win 7 Pro, but the steps you laid out here simplified the process.  Thank you!
    Dick Day
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 4:36 AM
  • Huh? What makes you think VFP 9 is not supported on Win7. That site doesn't say anything about support. It discusses compatability.
    Craig Berntson
    MCSD, Visual C# MVP
    INETA Community Speaker
    www.craigberntson.com
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Woody, we had success using your directions to use VFP 9.0 SP2 within Windows 7, but I am having trouble opening projects (from my old computer Windows XP) that had SourceGear Vault 3.5.1 as its source protecter.  Do you have any suggestions for that?  The error message that I get is

Problem Event Name: AppCrash

Fault Modual Name: VaultIDE.dll

Fault Module Version: 3.5.1.4786

Exception Code: c0000005 - I think I counted the zeros correctly.

Then, when I close that window, I get a VFP message window that say Fatal Error: Exception Code = C0000005

Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks for you time.

Friday, April 1, 2011 9:30 PM
  • http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/FoxPro/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=125 is the new link for the installer instead of the prolib link.

• Edited by PaulB1967 Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:30 PM clarification
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Hi wOOdy,

I tried the links in this post for the HotFix but nothing came up and the link "prolib" does not work if you do not have an account.

Can you help me out, how to get a VFP 9.0 program to work on a Maschine with Win 7 64bit, for any answers I will be very grateful

Best Regards

Vince  @  vbyrne  .de

Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:13 PM
  • First, you don't need SP2 nor an hotfix to make it work on a windows 64 bit machine or win 8.x, win 10 64 bits machine, unless you specifically compiled for SP2.

I have been working with SP1 and I still do, and now I am on windows 10 64 bits as my development machine. The executables work on my machine, plus work on thousands of customer machines which range from XP to win 10 32-64 bits. 

All you need is to add vfp9r.dll, vfp9renu.dll and vfp9t.dll to the same folder where your exe is (thinking you don't have it installed to a common path with an installer - this is just an xcopy approach that works). ie: An application folder would look like:

...\MyApp\MyApp.exe
    ...\MyApp\vfp9r.dll
    ...\MyApp\vfp9renu.dll
    ...\MyApp\vfp9t.dll

I often use this approach for some relatively "quickly built" programs that I can hand a "portable USB stick" to someone with no VFP on his\her machine. They can just plug the USB and run from there without any installation. 

Thursday, May 12, 2016 5:08 PM
  • That most likely does not trigger a nail to him. Forget to address people this way in an MSDN forum. Instead please simply ask your new question in a new thread.

There is no ProLib anymore. MSDN has also removed things from the code gallery.

Please ask a new question for sake of recoverability of it and the answer and I'll answer that there.- Besides there still is the german equivalent to this forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/de-DE/home?forum=foxprode

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke - TMN Systemberatung GmbH http://www.tmn-systemberatung.de

Friday, May 13, 2016 4:53 AM