Can PowerPivot connects to a remote database ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

my settings are : a SQL Server 2010 database runs on a server and my local computer with Excel 2010 and I install PowerPivot.

I can rach the server and I have an id to connect him (with Remote Dsektop Connection for example)

I know the database name and i someone create an user/pass to connect to the database.

When I run PowerPivot and i want to connect to the database on the remote server, I don't kow how enables the connection.

I put the server name, database name, but for identification does i use my couple id/pass (server) or my couple user/pass (database). Howerover in this 2 cases, i can't connect ...

So can PowerPivot connects to a remote database ?

Thanks a lot

Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:00 AM

Answers

• You better should ask your DBA for the correct server + instance name and the credentials you have to use to logon.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Long Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Monday, June 2, 2014 1:35 AM
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 10:27 AM
  • i'm beginner in windows environment :(

Ok in your example the dot means local. So for my remote desktop, in servername field i will put : "remote server name"/SQLEXPRESS

My local computer (from i want to access remote server hosts SQLSERVER database) has a window user doesn't exist on the remote server. But i know the couple remote server window user/pass to acces remote server

1-So i have to choose "Use SQLServer authent" ?

2-And the string connection will be : remote server name/remote server window user ?

3-I must verify if the remote server window user must can access to the SQLSERVER database ?

Right ?

Hi xasyl,

You should have a valid login connect to remote SQL Server(As Olaf suggested, we need to specify the Remote Server Name+Instance Name). Please take a look article:
    Create a Login: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337562.aspx

In addition, we can also use Windows Authentication connect to remote SQL Server from PowerPivot. For more information regarding connecting to SQL Server Using Windows Authentication, please see:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd787978.aspx

Regards, 

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:39 AM

All replies

• So can PowerPivot connects to a remote database ?

Sure you can. In PowerPivot click on "From Database" => "From SQL Server", enter the Server Name (here ".\SQLEXPRESS" for a local Server), choose the authentication mode Windows / or SQL Login and select the database you want to use:

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:10 AM
  • Hello Olaf,

thnaks for your reply but  my SQLSERVER database runs on a remote server :(

Your example is for a database on a "local server" (or i don't understand something)

Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:28 AM
  • but  my SQLSERVER database runs on a remote server :(

The just enter "machinename" and if's a named instance also the name in field "Server Name".

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, May 22, 2014 10:02 AM

Ok in your example the dot means local. So for my remote desktop, in servername field i will put : "remote server name"/SQLEXPRESS

My local computer (from i want to access remote server hosts SQLSERVER database) has a window user doesn't exist on the remote server. But i know the couple remote server window user/pass to acces remote server

2-And the string connection will be : remote server name/remote server window user ?

3-I must verify if the remote server window user must can access to the SQLSERVER database ?

Right ?

Thursday, May 22, 2014 10:15 AM
  • You better should ask your DBA for the correct server + instance name and the credentials you have to use to logon.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Long Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:40 AM
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 10:27 AM

Right ?

Hi xasyl,

You should have a valid login connect to remote SQL Server(As Olaf suggested, we need to specify the Remote Server Name+Instance Name). Please take a look article:
    Create a Login: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337562.aspx

In addition, we can also use Windows Authentication connect to remote SQL Server from PowerPivot. For more information regarding connecting to SQL Server Using Windows Authentication, please see:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd787978.aspx

Regards, 

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:39 AM