none
Insert Group on the report designer (rdlc) does not display the plus sign for expanding the group RRS feed

• Question

• How do I get the plus (+) sign to display for a group when a group row has been added using the Design Template in Visual Studio 2008.  The plus (+) shows correctly when the report is created through the wizard using 'Design a new report' and the column is inserted into the Grouping box, but it does not work when a group is added after the fact.  The data is correctly grouped together under the group heading, but there is no plus (+) or minus (-) sign displayed to expand or collapse the group. Can anyone help?
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:36 PM

All replies

• by default a group does not do toggled visiblity.

I believe in order to enable this, you would need to go to the grou properties by right clicking the group handle in your table control, choose the visiblity tab and set toggle item related to a particular report control.

I don't have the windows open in front of me right now, but I'm pretty sure that's how it's setup.
    Living my life at 123mph in 11.15 seconds
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:21 PM
  • The Visibility tab has three options: Visible, Hidden, and Expression.  The Visible option is selected by default and that does not provide the plus (+), selecting the Hidden option completely hides the group and all of the data underneath it with no way to unhide it, and the third option is the Expression which expects a conditioning statement.  None of the options provides the desired results ... placing a plus (+) next to the group.

Comparing two rdlc's, one with the group added by the wizard and one where the group is manually added, I can find no difference in the Grouping and Sorting Properties on any tab.  Is there anything else I can look at?
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:36 PM
  • Ok, when I pull up the grouping and sorting properties via the "Edit Group" choice.   I see a visiblity tab, and on that tab I see the three options you described.

But under that I see a checkbox which says "Visibility can be toggled by another report Item"

Check this box, and choose the control that will be used for opening and closing. 
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Almost ....  A little playing around, I almost have it. 

When you select "Edit Group..." on the inserted group row; "Visibility" tab and check the box: "Visibility can be toggled by another report Item", the Report item dropdown will only list the textboxes in the Table Header.  Selecting one of those text boxes will place a plus (+) in the header and not the group.  Not the desired result.

When selecting "Edit Group..." on the detail row; "Visibility" tab and check the box: "Visibility can be toggled by another report Item", the Report item dropdown will list the textboxes in the Table Header and the group row.  Selecting one of the group text boxes will place a plus (+) in the group.  This is the desired result with the exception that the plus (+) will collapse the group and the minus (-) expands it. 

When designing the report through the wizard, I get a report where the header is displayed, underneath it, all of the groups, initially collapsed, with each group having a plus (+) to expand.  When editing an inserted group,  the report generated displays the header, the groups underneath, AND the detail under the group with a plus (+).  Selecting the plus will collapse the group ... plus (+) changes to a minus (-).  Selecting the minus (-), the group expands.

How can I get the plus / minus to correctly indicate the operation it is performing?

Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Forget the previous question ... found the answer!

Specify hidden for the Initial visibility and everything works as expected. 

Thanks for your help and input.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:27 PM
  • np, glad you go it worked out.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:28 PM