Transaction locks entire table RRS feed

• Question

• User1385832786 posted

Hi, I am developing an web service that is connected with MS Access 97 database using Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLEDB and update and insert some data in the database inside transaction statement. On the other hand, I have an MS Access 97 multi-user application that is accessing to the same database. The problem comes when the web service is updating or inserting some row in a table of the database and in the other application, any user update or insert some row (not the same exactly). The application shows the error message 'The table is locked by user XXXX on the machine XXXX'. The error number is 3260. If I remove the transaction statement, there is no problem. It seems that I use transactions, it locks entire table. I hope you help me. Thanks.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:44 PM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

That's right.  Transactions cause locks.  That's how they work.  Unless there is a very good reason for using Transactions, don't.

The alternative is to use a proper database system like SQL Server.  I would guess that's not what you want to here, but you can get the free Express version and still use your Access front end with it.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:23 AM