• I have two lists in SharePoint, each with two columns:

List A

Column 1-----------Column 2

Bob-------------------Apple

Joe-------------------Orange

Jane------------------Banana

List B

Column 3-----------Column 4

Column 3 in List B is a lookup from Column 1 on List A, so there's a drop-down list of names in Column 3.

I would now like to set up Column 4 to auto-populate with the associated data in Column 2 from List A (i.e. if I select "Bob" in Column 3, Column 4 will populate "Apple".  If I select "Joe" in Column 3, Column 4 will populate "Orange", and so on). I'm thinking this should be a calculated value but not sure.

Essentially, is it possible to set the value of a calculated column to data from another list?  Or how else can I do this?  Would it be a workflow, and if so, how? I'm working in SharePoint 2013, either just out of the box or I can do workflows.  Thanks!

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:01 PM

All replies

• Hi NRM8786,

Below article for your reference:

https://blog.devoworx.net/2018/01/10/autofill-list-form-fields-based-on-lookup-selection-in-sharepoint/

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:06 PM
  • Hi, NRM8786,

If you will only use Column 4 to display the value, not using it in a workflow or calculated column. The easiest way is to change the lookup column(Column 3) settings. 

In the example, I use the lookup column to show all the title in another list. I check on the "Ask Rate" column so that in the current list, when i choose a title, the corresponding ask rate will auto-populate. The limitation is that you cannot use it in other calculated columns or workflows.

If that does not fit your requirement, you can use a workflow to do the work.  I will show you a sample workflow. The ct4 list is the source list like your list A.

You can use the look up value to get the corresponding value in your List A. Make sure to use the lookup value type correctly. 

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 2:17 AM
  • Hi,

What is the type of Column 2? if it is either Single Line of text or Number or Date-time field then:

You can extend the Column 2 from list A in your lookup column settings. Then you will automatically get the value of column 2 in your list B(no need to create Column 4).

If you need Column 4 for another purpose then you can run the workflow on item creation and update and then you can set the Column 4 value to the value of extended Column.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Vote(^) and accept as an Answer if it helped you.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:41 AM
  • Hi, NRM8786,

Have you tried the solutions? I am checking how things are going here.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:32 AM