API to retrieve device information? Device Manufacturer, total memory, firmware version...

Question

• I'm porting a WP7 app to WinRT (C#) and I'm struggling to find APIs which would allow me to find information about the current device. In particular, this is the information I would like to access through my app:

• Device manufacturer
    • Device model
    • Device firmware
    • Device total memory

In WP7, we have the Microsoft.Phone.Info.DeviceStatus-class which contains all this info. Is there anything similar available from a WinRT app?

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 11:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Mikael,

Windows.Security.ExchangeActiveSyncProvisioning.EasClientDeviceInformation deviceInfo = new Windows.Security.ExchangeActiveSyncProvisioning.EasClientDeviceInformation();

string manufacter = deviceInfo.SystemManufacturer;

Look at deviceInfo..

Mickael

• Edited by mman2606 Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by MikaelKoskinen Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Sorry, that information is not available.

--Rob

Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:43 AM

All replies

• Sorry, that information is not available.

--Rob

Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:43 AM
  • Okay, so no physical core count, and no physical memory amount, and no os version, and no computer name, and no .....  The physical memory ommision from the api is going to make tuning my app for mobile devices very difficult.  Right now we're faking the memory, so all Win 8 devices have 1GB.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Are there plans to introduce such APIs in the future? There are lots of reasons why one would want to have manufacturer-specific functionality, so such an API would be immensely helpful. Anything to help identify what kind of machine the app is running on would help.
    Saturday, September 8, 2012 12:31 AM
  • Hi Mikael,

Windows.Security.ExchangeActiveSyncProvisioning.EasClientDeviceInformation deviceInfo = new Windows.Security.ExchangeActiveSyncProvisioning.EasClientDeviceInformation();

string manufacter = deviceInfo.SystemManufacturer;

Look at deviceInfo..

Mickael

• Edited by mman2606 Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by MikaelKoskinen Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:43 PM