How to recover desktop icon on Metro UI?

Question

• So while using the Win 8 Dev preview today when I went to the Metro UI and noticed that the Desktop icon which was usually there was missing I tried finding a path for the desktop so I could pin it again but to no avail. Please help
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:04 AM

Answers

• Fixed it 
    I magically found a Desktop icon in the Apps drawer and pinned it afterwards. Not sure why it didnt show up when I searched but atleast it fixed now :) BTW Thanks Sergio for trying to help :D 
    • Marked as answer by TKO236 Friday, September 16, 2011 4:19 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You should not use CCleaner, it is so dangerous.

Can you get inside desktop even you don't watch it on Start screen?

Regards,

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:21 AM
  • How so?

And yes I can get to the desktop even though its not there its simply convenient to have it in the Metro UI because if not I have to go through a couple extra steps and its aesthetically unpleasant because now their a gap in the first pane of apps lol

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:25 AM
  • Because any application should not access to the registry as this app does.

Maybe Desktop is just unpinned, draw your pointer to the lower left in the start screen or just open Search by pressing Windows +F, type Desktop and select Apps tab, right click on Desktop icon and select Pin in the lower panel.

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:39 AM
  • Already did that but Desktop does not show up on Search>Apps or Settings or Files
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Already did that but Desktop does not show up on Search>Apps or Settings or Files

I am trying to find where desktop icon is but is so difficult, I could find the registry key that launch desktop under:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Launcher.Desktop

Please make sure that registry key exists.

You can also open Control panel, General and do a System Refresh.

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:06 AM
  • Its turning out to be a major headache to get back a simple icon. Major oversight on the part of MS
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Its turning out to be a major headache to get back a simple icon. Major oversight on the part of MS

Maybe because we don't know so much about how Windows 8 works yet, normally it's a kind of association, I know how to find the start screen applications (Their resource files) but it's not the same way for Windows apps.

Anyway, I am still looking for...

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:41 AM
  • Even after a lengthy refreash process nothings changed and I've lost all my apps. Think Im going back to Win 7 :/
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:32 AM
  • You should reset, not refresh i guess...

As for your question... I don't remember how, but i was able to open the start menu inside windows explorer, and it was loaded of shortcuts, from there right clicking an of them allowed me to pin them, maybe if you move an desktop shortcut there...

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:56 AM

• You can also open Control panel, General and do a System Refresh.

In case I am going for system refresh, won't I lose all my installed programs? (I guess only the files and folders remain intact).

And, in my case, the control panel and store tiles are missing. Any ideas for this one?

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:56 AM

• You can also open Control panel, General and do a System Refresh.

In case I am going for system refresh, won't I lose all my installed programs? (I guess only the files and folders remain intact).

And, in my case, the control panel and store tiles are missing. Any ideas for this one?

If you do a system reset, you will lost all your files and programs, Windows will come back as clean installation.
    Could you create a new account and tell me if you can see Desktop icon in the Screen Start?
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Just my luck I cant find my Windows 7 Disk, guess Im stuck on Win 8 :|
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Fixed it 
    I magically found a Desktop icon in the Apps drawer and pinned it afterwards. Not sure why it didnt show up when I searched but atleast it fixed now :) BTW Thanks Sergio for trying to help :D 
    • Marked as answer by TKO236 Friday, September 16, 2011 4:19 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:15 PM