none
System.Data.SqlClient compatibility with future versions of either sql or .net RRS feed

• Question

• In web.config I use 'System.Data.SqlClient' to connect to various SQL servers.  Using .NET v3.5 and initially designed and built to connect to SQL2008R2.  Now I have upraded to SQL2012.  No problem that I can see.  However the question is:  Can I be comfortable than when the times come to once more move to SQL2014 this will continue to work?  And why should I be comfortable?  The thing is upward (or downward compatibility, I suppose it depends which way to look at things) is a big deal when it comes to that I am forced by external factors to upgrade one of the core technology used to build a system.  I am good with the seamless functionality, I just wish to be comfortable of no future unexpected.  Thanks.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:55 PM

Answers

• Hello ES44AC,

>>Can I be comfortable than when the times come to once more move to SQL2014 this will continue to work?  And why should I be comfortable?

Do you already install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1? If  you already did that, you would be comfortable again.

If not, then for using the SQL Server 2014, according to this article, you need to install that SP firstly:

.NET 3.5 SP1 is a requirement for SQL Server 2014 when you select Database Engine, Reporting Services, Master Data Services, Data Quality Services, Replication, or SQL Server Management Studio, and it is no longer installed by SQL Server Setup.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 14, 2014 3:36 AM

All replies

• Hello ES44AC,

>>Can I be comfortable than when the times come to once more move to SQL2014 this will continue to work?  And why should I be comfortable?

Do you already install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1? If  you already did that, you would be comfortable again.

If not, then for using the SQL Server 2014, according to this article, you need to install that SP firstly:

.NET 3.5 SP1 is a requirement for SQL Server 2014 when you select Database Engine, Reporting Services, Master Data Services, Data Quality Services, Replication, or SQL Server Management Studio, and it is no longer installed by SQL Server Setup.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 14, 2014 3:36 AM
  • Ok so if I have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed, then 'System.Data.SqlClient' will connect seamlessly to all the recent versions of SQL servers  (08, 08R2, 12, and 14)?

I do understand that those other tools will also work as well seamlessly.

I do have it installed so I should be good.  Thanks.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:27 PM