none
MARS System State Backup Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the MARS agent on a physical server and attempted to create a Scheduled Backup for System State. After the confirmation screen, I click on Finish, and it says "Creating Backup Schedule..." and then displays an error:

Operation Failed

Create backup schedule for System State

Unable to create System State Backup VHDs using C:\Program Files\Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent\Scratch\SSBS\SSBStaging.vhd and C:\Program Files\Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent\Scratch\SSBV\. Ensure that you have LOCAL SYSTEM ADMIN privilege.

I can successfully schedule a File/Folder backup, but I can't even schedule a System State backup.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:33 PM

All replies

• First thing: Ensure that you have LOCAL SYSTEM ADMIN privilege as mentioned in the recommended steps.

Secondly, the cache folder volumes should have free space that equals at least 5-10% of the total size of backup data.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-azure-file-folder-backup-faq#manage-the-backup-cache-folder

Thursday, November 14, 2019 7:00 AM
  • Hi Sadiqh, thanks for the reply. How do I check for LOCAL SYSTEM ADMIN privilege? The Azure MARS agent process is running as Local System in the Services snap-in, and I've tried to do this System State backup by right-clicking the GUI shortcut and clicking Run as Administrator.

I believe I have enough free space on the volume that contains the cache folder, but I'll use your directions to stop the process and update the registry so I can move this folder to a separate volume on the server.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:47 PM
  • That sounds like you've Local System Admin privilege. Try changing the cache folder location to see if that does the trick. 

Just an FYI, MARS agent latest version is (2.0.9170.0), download link.

Monday, November 18, 2019 10:56 AM
  • Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 10:55 AM