Bing Maps China Coverage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I want to know if there ars any restriction on Bing Map usage in China. Does end user face any issues while using Bing Map from China country? I am able to use the map for geocoding and visualizing data point in China region sitting from India. 

I have seen the below link about Bing Map coverage across various geography: 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd435699.aspx

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26278442/use-chinese-bing-maps-api (old post, specifically about china)

I couldn't find anything on internet about restriction so wanted to make sure if someone is aware of any restrictions. 

I hope there are no restriction :)!

Thank You for your help in advance!

Friday, July 7, 2017 12:05 PM

Answers

• Yes, Bing Maps has good coverage in China. Be sure to use the zh-CN culture code. Bing Maps aligns with the Chinese government regulations around mapping. The main restriction/limitation is that all road data is offset to make it so that it is not GPS accurate. This is done for national security reasons. This basically means if you take a GPS accurate coordinate and place it on the map, it will not appear in the right place as the base maps are offset. However, the geocoding and routing services in Bing Maps account for this and will offset data for China so that it does appear in the right location on the offset map.

Additionally, Bing Maps has a data center in China which means that if China where to block all internet traffic from outside of China, Bing Maps would continue to be available in China. 

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Friday, July 7, 2017 5:47 PM

All replies

• Yes, Bing Maps has good coverage in China. Be sure to use the zh-CN culture code. Bing Maps aligns with the Chinese government regulations around mapping. The main restriction/limitation is that all road data is offset to make it so that it is not GPS accurate. This is done for national security reasons. This basically means if you take a GPS accurate coordinate and place it on the map, it will not appear in the right place as the base maps are offset. However, the geocoding and routing services in Bing Maps account for this and will offset data for China so that it does appear in the right location on the offset map.

Additionally, Bing Maps has a data center in China which means that if China where to block all internet traffic from outside of China, Bing Maps would continue to be available in China. 

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Friday, July 7, 2017 5:47 PM
  • Thanks Ricky for detailed answer. 
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 9:30 AM