Entity SQL LIKE Operator and ObjectParameter Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building a query using ObjectParameters to pass values to Entity SQL query like so:

Code Snippet

using(Context ctx = new Context())

{

string query = "SELECT VALUE s FROM Subscribers AS s WHERE s.FirstName LIKE '%@paramFirstName%'";
    ObjectQuery<Subscribers> subscribersQuery = new ObjectQuery<Subscribers>(query, ctx);
    subscribersQuery.Parameters.Add(new ObjectParameter("paramFirstName", "John");
    List<Subscribers> subs = subscribersQuery.ToList();

}

This query is being executed just fine but I'm not receiving any data (And I know I have the data that matches the query in my store). However when I manually replace @paramFirstName with John and stop using ObjectParameters the query returns the expected results.
    I want to use ObjectParameters in all my Entity SQL queries. Any help would be much appreciated.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please see the small correction inline to make sure that @paramFirstName is used as a parameter not as a string value.

Code Snippet

{

string query = "SELECT VALUE s FROM Subscribers AS s WHERE s.FirstName LIKE '%' + @paramFirstName + '%'";
    ObjectQuery<Subscribers> subscribersQuery = new ObjectQuery<Subscribers>(query, ctx);

}

Hope that helps,

Kati

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please see the small correction inline to make sure that @paramFirstName is used as a parameter not as a string value.

Code Snippet

{

string query = "SELECT VALUE s FROM Subscribers AS s WHERE s.FirstName LIKE '%' + @paramFirstName + '%'";

}

Hope that helps,

Kati

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:20 PM
  • Thanks! that worked. It's strange because I've been using the parameters with out adding '+' and they work with other operators.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:32 PM
  • The difference really is that the parameter name when quoted is used as a literal. Thus your original query would return results if there were a subscriber whose first name contained “@paramFirstName%” (e.g. “aaaaaaaaaaaa@paramFirstNamebbbbbbbbb”.

This is also consistent with TSQL.

Hope that makes it clearer.

Thanks,

Kati

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:05 PM