none
What should I do to avoid the message about Unknown Publisher when my Word, Excel plugin is loaded by the applications RRS feed

• Question

• I created plugins for Word, Excel and Outlook with Excel 2010 Addin, Word 2010 Addin and Outlook 2010 Addin on Visual Studio 2010.  I also created an MSI installer program to install them.

After installation, when the  application is launched, it shows a message about "Publisher cannot be verified.  Are you sure you want to install this customization?"

I believe I have to do digital signature with the files but I have no clue what I should do.  I looked Signing tab in my project property, it shows two separate parts, "Sign the ClickOnce manifests" and "Sign the assembly".  Which one should I do or both?  I use MSI installer to install it, so I think I don't need "Sign the ClickOnce manifests", is that right?  If so, how come the checkbox is always checked?  I can unchecked it, but as soon as I rebuilt the project, it's checked again.  Can I leave it there with no certificate?  If I need to do "Sign the assembly", how should I get the key file?  I assume I can't generate a key file myself, can I?  Do I need to purchase it from Verisign?

Thank you very much.

Monday, August 18, 2014 8:52 PM

Answers

All replies