VS 2012 Help Viewer bug ? error ? RRS feed

• Question

• In the VS 2012 Help Viewer, when in the Manage Content pane, I always see, for the "Microsoft Help Viewer 2.0 Documentation" book on my Disk, the status "Update Available". But I see no way to get this update if it actually exists. How do I get this update ? The "Update" button in the pane is grayed out.
    • Edited by eldiener Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:15 PM Correct syntax
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:14 PM

All replies

• What should happen is you click a books "add" link and the items goes into the right list.

Once you have one or more items selected, the Update button becomes available.

Now I think I've seen the update button not become available if there is already an update in progress. So for example you might do a Component install from CD or download that kicks off an update.

Try restarting the PC to reset things.

If all else fails try repairing the help system.

Rob

Rob Chandler Help MVP www.helpware.net | mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com | hv2.helpmvp.com

Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:28 AM
  • What should happen is you click a books "add" link and the items goes into the right list.

Once you have one or more items selected, the Update button becomes available.

Now I think I've seen the update button not become available if there is already an update in progress. So for example you might do a Component install from CD or download that kicks off an update.

Try restarting the PC to reset things.

If all else fails try repairing the help system.

Rob

Rob Chandler Help MVP www.helpware.net | mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com | hv2.helpmvp.com

How does the 2.0 Help Viewer know when an update is available, even though the user has not added anything from the online list ? Surely there must be a way to get an Update from something which already exists locally.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Oh I see what you are saying. Good question.

In VS 2010  this was manual. You would click "Check for Updates Online" in the Help Manager application. But in VS 2012 update checks are now automated and you will be notified if updates are found.

Longer answer... When you start the viewer (or connect to a different installation source) it will automatically check online to see if there are any updates (to stuff you have locally installed). If there are you will see a link appear UNDER the Update button in the status line that says "Updates are Available" if you hover over the link it shows "Estimated download Size in MB". Click the link to update your Locally installed content.

Looks to me like you don't get a breakdown or choice as to which items you install. But updates are smart and you should only get the deltas (differences) so download is small. I'm yet to see an update work.

The "Update Button" only works on stuff in the right-hand list.

Paul O'Rear does a good video explanation of help on Channel 9

Monday, November 26, 2012 2:09 AM
  • eldiener did this fix you problem?

So the text in the status line "Update Available" should be a hyperlink. Just click it to download the update. If I hear nothing I'll mark as Answered.

Friday, November 30, 2012 6:58 AM
  • eldiener did this fix you problem?

So the text in the status line "Update Available" should be a hyperlink. Just click it to download the update. If I hear nothing I'll mark as Answered.

It is not a hyperlink. It simply says "Update Available".

• Edited by eldiener Friday, November 30, 2012 12:31 PM spelling error
    Friday, November 30, 2012 12:31 PM
  • Strange. Maybe they changed it?
    I'll ask one of the Help team if they would mind commenting.

Ah.. Just got an update message.. Here's what it should look like...

Maybe a little confusing since the Update "button" now looks enabled yet does nothing. You have to click the associated "link" in the status line

Monday, December 3, 2012 2:00 PM
  • eldiener, can you provide a screen shot of what you are seeing?

Rob has done an excellent job of describing the expected behavior.  As Rob described, the reason you see “Updates are available” is because the Help viewer checks the online service that contains the content sets, and if there is a delta in the date for the content sets on your local machine vs. the online service, the update notification is enabled.  The goal was to updated content notification more visible without being distracting.

Please let us know if you see the link in Robs screen capture above.

Thank you,

Malcolm Dickson
    IDE Experience PM
    Microsoft

Monday, December 3, 2012 4:50 PM
  • eldiener, can you provide a screen shot of what you are seeing?

Rob has done an excellent job of describing the expected behavior.  As Rob described, the reason you see “Updates are available” is because the Help viewer checks the online service that contains the content sets, and if there is a delta in the date for the content sets on your local machine vs. the online service, the update notification is enabled.  The goal was to updated content notification more visible without being distracting.

Please let us know if you see the link in Robs screen capture above.

Thank you,

Malcolm Dickson
    IDE Experience PM
    Microsoft

Here is the image of what I am seeing:

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:00 AM

Where I am seeing the 'Updates Available' status is from the Disk screen. See my uploaded image below in my reply to the next message. I can then click on the 'Click here to download now', the update will occur, the Staus will go to Local and everything will look normal. But when I go to the Online screen, there will be an 'Updates Available' for the same topic. I will then get that update successfully, the Online screen will say Local but when I go back to the Disk screen, guess what ?, I am back to seeing 'Updates Available' again for the same documentation.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Oh see the confusion. "Updates available" text is in the main list.

There should also be an "Updates are Available"+ a "Click Here to download now" Link in the status line (bottom right) of that window (see my screen cap). Do you see that?

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:38 AM
  • Oh and currently (looking at your screen cap) you are pointing to a local installation source.
    Maybe that's the problem.

So this can be a point of confusion...

When you point to a local .msha file ("Installation Source" > "Disk" radio button)... the main list shows books you can add/remove from the source, but it also displays all other installs from both server and local sources.

Switch back to "Installation Source" > "Online" (radio button) and the status link should appear.

:-)

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:52 AM

Where I am seeing the 'Updates Available' status is from the Disk screen. See my uploaded image below in my reply to the next message. I can then click on the 'Click here to download now', the update will occur, the Staus will go to Local and everything will look normal. But when I go to the Online screen, there will be an 'Updates Available' for the same topic. I will then get that update successfully, the Online screen will say Local but when I go back to the Disk screen, guess what ?, I am back to seeing 'Updates Available' again for the same documentation.

LOL. OK I'll leave you with Malcolm (MS).

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:15 AM
  • BTW my system is very well behaved.. when I go "Disk" the update text disappears. When I select "Online" the update messages reappears correctly.

So must be something strange about the local source you are connecting to.

Umm... That path you are using for "Disk"
    C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local\Microsoft\HelpViewer2.0\VisualStudio11_en-US\helpcontentsetup.msha

Why have you connected to that? Experimenting? 
    That is "Help on Help" book which may be a private area used by the Help Engine. You may have caused some kind of weird circular thing. :-)

Malcolm??

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:35 AM
  • BTW my system is very well behaved.. when I go "Disk" the update text disappears. When I select "Online" the update messages reappears correctly.

So must be something strange about the local source you are connecting to.

Umm... That path you are using for "Disk"
    C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local\Microsoft\HelpViewer2.0\VisualStudio11_en-US\helpcontentsetup.msha

Why have you connected to that? Experimenting? 
    That is "Help on Help" book which may be a private area used by the Help Engine. You may have caused some kind of weird circular thing. :-)

Malcolm??

I did not change that path in any way from when VS 2012 was installed.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:58 AM