Do you like the new design / functionality 3 RRS feed

All replies

Monday, July 1, 2013 5:36 PM
  •  +1

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:56 PM

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:30 PM
  • +1

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:32 PM

I thought MSFT had all this intelligence of good website design, I guess I'm the dummy.

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 10:17 PM

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:05 PM

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2012 Microsoft MVP
    http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Yes, i know you don`t like the new design/functionality but i just can only count your vote once.

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

My Forum Threads

Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:50 AM
  • Current stats of the all three discussions:

pro new design/functionality: 6 ( representing 16,735 Points )

out of these 6

Partner: 1

MCC/MVP: 1

contra new design/functionality : 132 ( representing 1,683,892 Points )

out of these 132

MVP: 10

MCC: 9

MCC/MVP: 9

Partner: 26

MCC/Partner: 10

MCC/Partner/MVP: 4

Partner/MVP: 3

I hope i have counted right.

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:53 AM
  • pro new design/functionality: 6 ( representing 16,735 Points )

contra new design/functionality : 132 ( representing 1,683,892 Points )

So that means that just 4% of the people who voted this time round like the new design. Less than 1% if you calculate it by points.

In other words, Microsoft only has to ignore 96% of the forum users to be able to claim that this new design was a success!

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Thursday, July 4, 2013 8:26 AM

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Saturday, July 6, 2013 4:11 AM

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERTISE! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become unstable or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Saturday, July 6, 2013 4:25 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 12:18 PM
  • Tuesday, July 9, 2013 7:10 AM
  • Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERTISE! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become unstable or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

I can confirm this behavior. I have gone back to look at old threads of mine when a similar question arises in a current thread, and found that posts in which I had included images now simply have nothing there. I am going back to my old practice of using links to Flickr-hosted images, which are not dependent upon the vagaries of these hopelessly fouled up MS forums, and also gets around the "two images per post" restriction imposed by the forum editor.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:04 PM
  • scott,

you allready have voted. I won`t count this one.

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:20 AM
  • Mr.Monkeyboy,

i allready count your vote in the first thread. I won`t count this one.

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:20 AM
  • Current stats of the all three discussions:

pro new design/functionality: 6 ( representing 16,735 Points )

out of these 6

Partner: 1

MCC/MVP: 1

contra new design/functionality : 134 ( representing 1,710,328 Points )

out of these 134

MVP: 10

MCC: 9

MCC/MVP: 9

Partner: 28

MCC/Partner: 10

MCC/Partner/MVP: 4

Partner/MVP: 3

I hope i have counted right.

Hannes

In a perfect world,

My Forum Threads

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:22 AM
  • If it weren't to cry about, I'd tend to laugh out loud:

We are pulling a vote that results in negative voters being 22 times more than positive. Negative voters POINTS are 102 times more than positive voters points. Negative voters points, in addition, are high above 10k avg. - and still they tell us we are only 0.02% of active users.

But heck with it - nobody at MSFT cares about... And probably never will.

Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))

Restore the forum design - my user defined Cascading Style Sheet!

Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:18 PM
  • This new layout is horrible
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:14 PM
  • This new layout is horrible

No it's not, it's the best thing to hit the web since, ooh I don't know when, but a long time.

And no, that's not my opinion. I know it's true because otherwise, why would Microsoft push it so hard, despite the fact that the users have voted overwhelmingly against it? It must be that we're all wrong, and Microsoft are right.

Sadly, that might as well be the truth for all it matters. They aren't going to listen anyway :(

Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:17 PM

Personally, i'm a sucker for good fresh designs, but for most things the rule "design follows function" should apply. 

Unfortunately this is not the case here. My main points of critque are:

- i'm lost all the time. i dont find what i want, important infos are hard to read

- less interesting information has been visually prioritized over more important information (e.g. the huge "votes" indicator and the tiny "x answers" indicator, or the huge vote-button and the small "mark as answer"-link)

- i dont know who wrote what. It was always difficult in long threads to see who answered whom, now its nearly impossible

And what i really dont understand is: there are so many really thought-out suggestions on how to improve the forums. Many of them are getting re-suggested for years now. But instead we're getting a new design that causes new problems. Why?

http://www.administrator.de/

• Edited by ArHill Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:20 PM ....
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Just thought I'd say that the changes that have been made over the last couple of days (?) have vastly improved things.  Specifically, adding the 'My Forum Threads' link into the quick access list.  Before that it was a nightmare and unusable (I was bordering on not using the site again).  I also like the black banner at the top.

I still feel the threads look a bit like they run into each other, i.e. it's difficult at a glance to separate one post from another.  I also don't like the colours used for signalling a proposed answer.  Finally, I quite liked seeing who proposed a particular answer - 2 credible sources being better than 1.

That is all.

Thanks, Andrew

Thursday, August 1, 2013 1:06 PM

www.vaughnemiller.com

Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:23 PM

Hugh Moran - http://www.morantex.com

Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:17 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 12:03 AM

if I'd wanted a gadget, I would have bought a Mac. But the way my working stations are transferred to a mix of a toned down Windows 7 and some gadget isn't my biggest frustration; the way every laptop I try to install demands me to start an outlook account and enter my effin' phone number, is beyond disgusting.

Monday, November 11, 2013 2:20 PM

Its hard to keep track with mixing up forums, intransparent language dependencies of links to forum threads etc.

The visual style gets harder and harder to read, and for sure, if we as Forum Pro's have to struggle, this is not good for the people, who come here to search for help.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:48 AM