Dynamic Data with a Wizard Control RRS feed

• Question

• User-1656123599 posted

Hi,

I am currently working on a simple contacts manager application and want to use the ability of adding new contacts. The way I am thinking of doing it as creating a common page that contains a wizard control that forces a user to go through a standard workflow. Example:  1) Insert Person Information 2) Insert Address Information 3) Insert some additional information like hobbies, birthdays, etc. 4) Show a Summary page of user entered entries. 5) Submit.

Now, since there are foreign key constraints on the table, the data in step 1 should be inserted before the table in step 2. I am hoping that it should be somehow possible access Dynamic Data's features on each step of the wizard to generate a form views for each step.

Is this at all possible? Or is there an easier/perferred way of doing this? Dynamic Data is great and I have been working on it since a while, but not sure if this works out.

Thanks for your help!

Sunday, June 17, 2012 1:01 AM

All replies

• User3866881 posted

Dynamic Data is great and I have been working on it since a while, but not sure if this works out.

To directly use a Wizard control I'm afraid you cannot do that in the DD page……Well,I think you can just create a new aspx page and then put a wizard control to create steps for clients to control with the data contents……

For more about Wizard control,you can refer to this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fs0za4w6.aspx

Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:46 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi subodh9312, I do have an entity template that will do wht you want but it only works with a single entity, so if you want to create several entities in a work flow it's not for you.

I am working on a wizzard that will work with multiple entities but its in its very early stages.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:24 PM
  • User-1656123599 posted

Hi Decker, Steve,

I was actually looking at including the wizard control and adding it to a page outside the dynamic data directory. The Wizard Control to have steps. Each Steps would have the an DynamicEntity control with Insert mode, and binding it to a Datasource. The code of indiviual steps looking similar to that Insert.aspx Page Template. This helps in using the insert template

The problem I am facing right now, is that once I click Next, (at least the validation occurs Wink), but I am unable to capture the Object how its populated from FormView. The DataItem is null, as I presume it would be associated with it, only in Edit mode.

Am I moving in the right direction? Is there a way to get the Entity from the FormView, in the form of Object, once all the validations are successful?

Thanks,

Subodh

Friday, June 22, 2012 12:02 AM
  • User3866881 posted

subodh9312

without your codes it's really hard for us to decide your error……maybe you can first use a common aspx page with a wizard control instead……

Friday, June 22, 2012 11:13 PM