none
ACE 2010 breaks Office 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed an application that accesses a Access 2010 encrypted database via the ACE 14 ole db provider. Our application installs the Access database engine 2010 as a prerequisite. 

One of our customer now comes and tells us the pivot tables in his access databases are not working anymore after installing our product (actually after installing the access database engine 2010). We identified the issue. It comes from the fact that the customer uses Office 2007 and installing the access database engine 2010 conflicts with his installation.

If he repairs Office 2007, his access databases work again. But our application does not anymore.

If he repairs the access database engine 2010, our application works again but not his databases.

What am I to do ? Do you know of a fix that enables Office 2007 and the access database engine 2010 to coexist ?

Additional note : our understanding is that both Office 2007 and access database engine 2010 register identically named COM components. These components are involved with OleDB. Most probably, the same components names are used so that ACE12Office2007 and ACE14/AccessDbEngine2010 db providers can be used interchangeably. It does breaks our application because the template database was created and encrypted using Access 2010 so ACE12/Office2007 cannot open the DB. 

Thanks for your help !

Regards,

TiMoch

Thursday, March 8, 2012 10:13 AM

Answers

• My guess is of general nature - if you support in your app installation on machines that have different versions of office and your app uses office components - you cannot use hard dependency on highest version - either you have to have fallback solution or use database developed in lowest supported office version (and in case client machnie lacks required components - install them).

From your description there is still a potential failure at other clients, steps:

1. install your app

2. install office 2007 or lower

So either re-create template db in lower access or use other databases for your purposes (for example use ESENT which comes with every windows from 2000 onward, or SQL CE)

Thursday, March 8, 2012 11:44 AM