SQL 2012 PowerPivot & SharePoint 2010 - services missing (SQL Server PowerPivot System Service, SQL Server Analysis Services) RRS feed

• Question

• Having installed PowerPivot for SharePoint 2010 via SQL 2012 SP1 Enterprise Edition, I appear to have run into a fundamental problem as both of the related 'services' are missing when I go to 'Manage Services on Server'

This is a single server SharePoint Farm, with the exception of SQL Server.

Previously, I have installed SQL 2008 R2 PowerPivot without any problems, but whatever I try, I cannot get the services to be displayed. I have performed the following:

• Run SQL 2012 set-up, choosing PowerPivot Features
    • Installed/deployed/activated the two PowerPivtot Solutions (powerpivotfarm.wsp, powerpivotwebapp.wsp)
    • Created PowerPivot service application

And now, when I go to start the services, neither 'SQL Server PowerPivot System Service, or 'SQL Server Analysis Services Service' are listed!

Can anyone offer any advice, anyone successfully conquered this with SQL 2012 SP1?

• Edited by adam5132 Friday, November 15, 2013 4:01 PM typo
    Friday, November 15, 2013 3:23 PM

Answers

• Thanks Wendy, although I can confirm that all of the above services were indeed provisioned and running.

I have now resolved the issue which was being caused by the footprint of SQL 2008 R2 remaining on the file system despite it being removed. Removing SQL 2008 R2 from add/remove programs, left a number of files behind, and it this file which appears to have caused the problem: \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS11.PowerPivot

Deleting this, restarting the server, then running through the install again, fixed the problem for me.

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:27 AM

All replies

• For SSRS, did you run Install-SPRSService and Install-SPRSServiceProxy?

For PowerPivot, did you run the PowerPivot configuration utility?

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, November 15, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Hi Trevor

Why would I need to run 'Install-SPRService' and 'Install-SPRSServiceProxy' - I'm not provisioning the SSRS Service Application, just PowerPivot (and Excel Services ultimately)

I only though the PowerPivot configuration utility was useful if you were performing a fresh Farm install?

Friday, November 15, 2013 3:57 PM
  • You said that "SQL Server Reporting Services Service" was missing.  That would be SSRS.

No, you need to run the PowerPivot config utility when you install a new instance (like you did), or upgrade an existing instance.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, November 15, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Oops, a mistake, has now been amended to 'SQL Server Analysis Services Service' . (thanks for that)

OK, so once I've installed SSAS for PowerPivot, I'll run the PowerPivot config utility. I've had no problem creating the service application or deploying the solutions, it's just that the two services are not available to start.

Friday, November 15, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Hi adam5132,

According to your description, the SQL Server PowerPivot System Service, SQL Server Analysis Services were missing after installing PowerPivot Solutions.

Please make sure the following services are started on Manage services on server:
     1.Claims to Windows Token Service
     2.Excel Calculation Services
     3.Secure Store Service

Here is an article for Starting PowerPivot Services on the server, please take a look at:
    http://rahulbach.blogspot.in/2010/08/start-powerpivot-services-on-server.html

The link below is about troubleshooting for PowerPivot in SharePoint, it might help you:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3872.troubleshoot-powerpivot-for-sharepoint-installation-and-configuration.aspx

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:19 AM
  • Thanks Wendy, although I can confirm that all of the above services were indeed provisioned and running.

I have now resolved the issue which was being caused by the footprint of SQL 2008 R2 remaining on the file system despite it being removed. Removing SQL 2008 R2 from add/remove programs, left a number of files behind, and it this file which appears to have caused the problem: \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS11.PowerPivot

Deleting this, restarting the server, then running through the install again, fixed the problem for me.

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:27 AM