Application pages vs site pages (Customized pages) in SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

SharePoint has wonderful feature that with the help of SharePoint Designer we can customize the pages & site. But As per my knowledge customization attract performance issues too. As customization would be in content db and content db is shared amount multiple front end web server so I suppose when load on site will increase, customized pages might have performance problem. We don’t have luxury to add additional content db to improve the performance as it should be single shared between the front end server. So we can assume that if our site has heavy customization then content db may be become bottleneck in load increase.

Contrary if we use application page instead of customized pages then performance wise it will help as in case if load will increase we have a luxury to add additional front end web server. As application would be on web frond end server so it will work very well.

Can anyone please provide views on this?

Regards
    Amit Kumar

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, July 3, 2011 12:30 PM : at end of title removed
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 12:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Almost but not quite... In SPS or WSSv2 having a few custiomized pages could slow down your environment. In SP2007 or WSSv3 though there is a difference especially if you have 1000's or 10,000's concurrent users, for most organizations the the challenges of creating and maintaining site definitions vs site templates offsets the performance gain. However, as a developer you should be packaging your code in Solutions regardless of the code creation tool and deploying them following best practices. The term Application Pages refers to the pages rendered using the application.master. Note: there are many ways to create customized pages like whenever you save a site as a template the pages are customized, therefore all sites created with the saved site template are also customized.

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.
    • Marked as answer by David HM Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:03 AM
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 3:30 PM