web parts missing from web part pages after site restore RRS feed

• Question

• I have restored a site using Designer and an .cmp file.  I had a number of web part pages on the site that each have two web parts on them: one web part displaying a library, and another displaying a discussion list. On each of these web part pages, the web part displaying the library did not "come through" in the restore.  Can anyone tell me why, or offer a solution?
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:21 PM spd (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:40 PM

Answers

• Oh did not realize some came through and some didn't. Based on the description I'm sorry I don't think I can offer anything more helpful.

As for the quick launch -- it sounds like all the links to the libraries are gone? If that is the case, go into the List/Library settings for each list/library and click on the "Title, description, and navigation" -- check that the navigation for "Display this document library/list on the quick launch?" is set to yes, it it is no, change it back to yes and it should be there. If that is the case I do not know why the restore would change that.

If they are set to yes, you can manually add links to the quick launch by Site Actions>Site Settings> then locate "Quick Launch" under the Look and Feel section -- if you don't see it, it's possible you have the Publishing features turned on and would instead look for "Navigation" under the same section (WSS uses quick launch, Publishing uses Navigation).

I hope this is helpful... if anyone has a better way to do this I hope they speak up but that's all I can think of at this point.

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, June 2, 2011 4:43 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:00 PM

All replies

• Hi run4it,

I remember we discussed something similar to this awhile ago such as why is there a "Page Content" field vs a "Content Editor Web Part" since both place text on a page -- well what you are describing is 1 of the problems with using web parts. Web parts are objects on a page that do not save in the database and unless they are hard-code embedded into a page layout, they will disappear once removed and a page is saved. So since you restored a page, it restored what it had in the database. So I hope that explains the "why" the web parts disappear. As for a solution -- that is something I've been wondering myself but instead have just been extra cautious as to not make sure I use web parts only to display info from a list or embed into a page layout. If there is a way to restore it post-restore, I hope someone else here can answer that for you.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:35 PM
  • SLF05 - Since they are both ListViewWebParts (I believe that's true), why would the one rendering a view of the library, not be saved and the one rendering the view of a discussion be saved/restored? It's not that big a deal for me to re-add the web part to the page, I'm just trying to understand what happened.  (My bigger issue at this point, which I created a post for, is that the Quick Launch didn't come through and I can't remake it).
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:52 PM
  • Oh did not realize some came through and some didn't. Based on the description I'm sorry I don't think I can offer anything more helpful.

As for the quick launch -- it sounds like all the links to the libraries are gone? If that is the case, go into the List/Library settings for each list/library and click on the "Title, description, and navigation" -- check that the navigation for "Display this document library/list on the quick launch?" is set to yes, it it is no, change it back to yes and it should be there. If that is the case I do not know why the restore would change that.

If they are set to yes, you can manually add links to the quick launch by Site Actions>Site Settings> then locate "Quick Launch" under the Look and Feel section -- if you don't see it, it's possible you have the Publishing features turned on and would instead look for "Navigation" under the same section (WSS uses quick launch, Publishing uses Navigation).

I hope this is helpful... if anyone has a better way to do this I hope they speak up but that's all I can think of at this point.

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, June 2, 2011 4:43 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:00 PM