Delay activite, persistence workflows and IIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Am I right in understanding that if a persistent workflow is hosted using IIS, it will not have proper support for activities that require active monitoring (like Delay activity)? In such case a right hosting choice would be AppFabric?

On the other hand, if persistent workflows don't contain delay-alike activites and are reactivated on external events, then IIS hosting should be just fine?

Vagif Abilov
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:53 AM

Answers

• Hi, Vagif

->"Isn's it sufficient to provide persistence with restart survival?"
    Yes, WF4 service instances host in IIS7 installed with .net 4.0 can resume running even after process restart.

Appfabric provides a better Persistence and Monitor enviroment. for example, With Appfabric, you can see how many workflow instances are on running ,how many workflow instance have completed running, etc. 

To start WF4 development and test, I would recommand IIS7 installed with .NET 4.0. for production usage, I would recommand Appfabric.

Regards
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. My Blog: http://xhinker.com
    Microsoft Windows Workflow Foundation 4.0 Cookbook
    • Marked as answer by Andrew_Zhu Friday, February 25, 2011 1:52 AM
    Monday, February 21, 2011 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When using AppFabric, the services are still hosted in IIS, AppFabric provides enhancements to the hosting functioality, such as persistence and monitoring.

In both cases I'd recommend using Windows Server AppFabric as you will need persistence so that the workflows can survive process restarts. I don't think there is much of a differnce as to weather delay activities or external events are used.

Regards,

Alan

http://www.CloudCasts.net - Community Webcasts Powered by Azure
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:34 AM
  • Hi Alan,

Thank you for the answer. Yes, I know that AppFabric is still IIS hosting. What I am evaulating now is what limitations come from using external hosting provider that does not support AppFabric but has usual IIS/.NET4/MSSQL stack.

You mentioned that with AppFabric persistent workflows survive process restart. But won't they survive if they are persistent (using supplied SQL instance store) and hosted in IIS wihout AppFabric? If IIS is restarted and there is an incoming request that has workflow instance ID matching dehydrated incomplete workflow, won't this reactive that idle workflow? Isn't workflow persistence independent on process lifetime?

Vagif

Vagif Abilov
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Hi,

>>But won't they survive if they are persistent (using supplied SQL instance store) and hosted in IIS wihout AppFabric? If IIS is restarted and there is an incoming request that has workflow instance ID matching dehydrated incomplete workflow, won't this reactive that idle workflow? Isn't workflow persistence independent on process lifetime?

This will depend on how the persistence store has been implemented in that hosting environmemt.

Regards,

Alan

http://www.CloudCasts.net - Community Webcasts Powered by Azure
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Hmm, but the environment is IIS7 on Windows 2008 server. Isn's it sufficient to provide persistence with restart survival?

Vagif Abilov
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hi, Vagif

->"Isn's it sufficient to provide persistence with restart survival?"
    Yes, WF4 service instances host in IIS7 installed with .net 4.0 can resume running even after process restart.

Appfabric provides a better Persistence and Monitor enviroment. for example, With Appfabric, you can see how many workflow instances are on running ,how many workflow instance have completed running, etc. 

To start WF4 development and test, I would recommand IIS7 installed with .NET 4.0. for production usage, I would recommand Appfabric.

Regards
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. My Blog: http://xhinker.com
    Microsoft Windows Workflow Foundation 4.0 Cookbook
    • Marked as answer by Andrew_Zhu Friday, February 25, 2011 1:52 AM
    Monday, February 21, 2011 8:33 AM