Trouble with Metro apps are not opening

Question

• Hello there!

I'm not able to open some metro style apps, like News, Weather and Twitterama. When I try to open these apps a new windows opens with no information. I can open Internet Explorer, Control Panel, and Stocks normally.

I saw in this community someone saying about screen resolution, but my resolution is setted to 1366x768.

Could someone help me, please?

Thank you!

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:27 AM

Answers

• Hello Gregory and Steven!

Thanks for help!

But since I asked this issue, many things happened with my notebook. Here are the facts.

First, my graphic driver runs normally, I updated it, disable/enable and so on, but the problem persist.

Then, as second chance, I tried to install Windows 8 but via DVD instead from a ISO drive.

So, in this second installation of Windows 8 all apps runs normally even Weather, News, Twetterama, etc...

After one day of use, all apps crashed and stopped to respond.

So, I refreshed my PC via Control Panel and these apps came back to life again, but not the Weather app.

So, I tried to Reset my PC via Control Panel yesterday and up to now all apps runs normally but I don't know how much time they still will run correctly.

Here is the link to my notebook manufacturer presentation page, with all specs:
    http://www.microboard.com.br/produtos/modelos/45/ei585

Thanks

Luís Felipe

Luís Felipe
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:28 AM

All replies

• Luis, seems that your resolution is above the min and the metro apps should open.  You might check your graphics processer under device manager to make sure the driver is loaded. 

1. Click on Control Panel button on the Metro Screen.

2. Scroll down the list to the bottom for More Settings

3. This opens the control panel in Desktop Mode.  Click System and Security 

4. Under System click Device Manager

5. Click Display Adapters and make sure your adaptor is listed.  If not you may need to download a new driver.

If you driver seems to be loaded correctly, you may try a Refresh under Recovery in the control panel.  If that fails you may try a Restore in the same location.

Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Greg,

I am having a similar problem. My metro apps open, but appear to be unable to access the internet. The weather app tells me it is unable to access the internet, whereas Socialite gives me an error - "Error returned by WebAuth broker. Error Number: - 2146697213 Error Message: Unknown runtime error." IE10 has no problem and neither do any apps run from the desktop. Network adapters all appear fine with no available updates. Look forward to your advice.

Thanks,

Mark

Edit: I am on a local account. On a Live account, the apps crash to green screen after opening. 
    • Edited by mfisher224 Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:28 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:55 AM
  • Mfisher, are you able to access the internet through Metro or Desktop Internet Explorer?  Have you tried to open a command prompt and ping a location or ping 127.0.0.1 to check the loopback? 
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Greg, both versions of IE work fine as do all desktop programs. Pinging and loopback also work fine.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Luis and mfisher, this may also be related to the graphics driver.  What brand/model of systems are you using?   You both seem to be within the specs to run Metro Apps.  If you could check under device manager and see what driver is loaded and see if there are any updates/other drivers to try from your video card manufacturer. 

Have these apps ever performed correctly in the past?  Have you tried a refresh/reset on these systems?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Greg, I am using an ASUS UL30a with an Intel GMA 4500MHD GPU. I will check drivers when I get home tonight. I have not had any success with the metro apps since upgrading to Win8. I have tried 1 reinstall, but have not tried a clean install since I have files and programs on the system I would like to keep.

Edit: Greg, I updated drivers to the latest version. The problem still persists. It really seems that the metro apps have no internet access.

• Edited by mfisher224 Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:57 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Hey Luis Otoni,

Please try refreshing Windows Developer Preview to see if the same problem occurs. Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:

• Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    • Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

To perform a refresh:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel
    • Click General in the left column
    • Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the directions that will be provided on the screen.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:32 AM
  • Hello Gregory and Steven!

Thanks for help!

But since I asked this issue, many things happened with my notebook. Here are the facts.

First, my graphic driver runs normally, I updated it, disable/enable and so on, but the problem persist.

Then, as second chance, I tried to install Windows 8 but via DVD instead from a ISO drive.

So, in this second installation of Windows 8 all apps runs normally even Weather, News, Twetterama, etc...

After one day of use, all apps crashed and stopped to respond.

So, I refreshed my PC via Control Panel and these apps came back to life again, but not the Weather app.

So, I tried to Reset my PC via Control Panel yesterday and up to now all apps runs normally but I don't know how much time they still will run correctly.

Here is the link to my notebook manufacturer presentation page, with all specs:
    http://www.microboard.com.br/produtos/modelos/45/ei585

Thanks

Luís Felipe

Luís Felipe
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:28 AM
  • Hey Luís Felipe,

Thanks for the update!

Be sure to let us know if the problem returns after a few days.

Steven
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:56 AM