Report Builder for Work Reports RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard version installed and there are no tools to create the SQL reports. I came across Report Builder and heard it has almost all the capabilities as SSRS.

Is Report Builder free? Can I use this for my work reports where there is privacy concerned with the customers?

Please guide so that I can have a tool to create reports using SQL.
    Thank you.
    • Moved by Bob Beauchemin Monday, March 30, 2015 8:47 PM Moved to a more appropriate forum
    Monday, March 30, 2015 8:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

Better way is to get a Visual Studio to create reports. You have include SQL Server Data tools feature while installation of SQL Server. Also you can add this post SQL Server installation using SQL Server Installation Centre.Below link will help you how to do this

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/mssqlfun/2014/06/26/sql-server-2014-how-to-add-features-to-existing-instance-/

Hope this helps

Thanks

Bhanu

• Proposed as answer by Vicky_Liu Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vicky_Liu Saturday, April 4, 2015 12:33 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 10:23 PM
  • Is Report Builder free? Can I use this for my work reports where there is privacy concerned with the customers?

Hello,

There is a free download available at Microsoft Download Center: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Report Builder 3.0

But of course you need CAL's (license) for the users to connect to SQL Server to run the report(s).

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Vicky_Liu Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 8:13 AM
  • Hi,

At work we have Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard version. Can we just install the free report builder on top?  Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Report Builder 3.0

So I will need licenses for the users to visit the reports that I create? I am trying to find out a way for me to create SQL reports and allow users to view them daily without any additional cost of buying the tools/licenses.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:49 PM
  • You dont need a license for report builder itself, but to connect to SQL Server to query the data and here it doesnt matter if you use ReportBuilder, MS Excel or any other reporting tool.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 3:18 PM