none
fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file - c++ 6.0 on windows 7 x32 problem RRS feed

• Question

• hello

at my school we have programming as a subject, but the course has not been updated for many years. Thats why i now run c++ 6.0 on my windows 7 x32 laptop...

i recently reformatted my laptop, before then i had not problems with C++ 6.0, but now all of a sudden, it will not compile or debug my program.. when i try i get this message:

--------------------Configuration: test - Win32 Debug--------------------
    Linking...
    LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "Debug/test.exe"
    Error executing link.exe.

can you please tell me what I need to do to make it work like before reformatting my laptop?

btw. i know i need to use win 32 console application (project) and C++ Source file.

• Edited by iddes Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:25 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:22 PM

Answers

• hmm i dont have access to the folder... i cant find it when i browse my computer, but when i try to open it in c++ there is a little lock on the folder... is that the problem

there is nothing to clean.. my test program is one of my old ones which i just copied into c++..

i am quite a noob regardless to this... can you tell me how i get administrator access?, or do you have another solution?
    Just start VC6 by Right-click -> Run as administrator.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by iddes Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:20 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try cleaning the solution before doing a build. and after a "clean" do a "rebuild All" . This should solve the issue hopefully.

You may also want to check the folder permissions of the bin\debug folder if it has read/write access for the current user logged in.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Seetharam

• Proposed as answer by Seetharam Raman Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:55 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:53 PM
  • hello

at my school we have programming as a subject, but the course has not been updated for many years. Thats why i now run c++ 6.0 on my windows 7 x32 laptop...

i recently reformatted my laptop, before then i had not problems with C++ 6.0, but now all of a sudden, it will not compile or debug my program.. when i try i get this message:
    You might consider running VC6 in an XP virtual machine. That is what I do.

Are you running VC6 as Administrator on Win7? And have you applied service packs?

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:05 PM
  • hmm i dont have access to the folder... i cant find it when i browse my computer, but when i try to open it in c++ there is a little lock on the folder... is that the problem

there is nothing to clean.. my test program is one of my old ones which i just copied  into c++..

i am quite a noob regardless to this... can you tell me how i get administrator access?, or do you have another solution?

EDIT: And thanks by the way!!! :)
    • Edited by iddes Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:12 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:11 PM

there is nothing to clean.. my test program is one of my old ones which i just copied into c++..

Just start VC6 by Right-click -> Run as administrator.

• Marked as answer by iddes Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:20 PM
  • i found the solution.. i just needed to run as administrator.. thanks for your help :)

.. LOL, i'm slow ;)
    • Edited by iddes Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:20 PM
  • hello

--------------------Configuration: test - Win32 Debug--------------------
    Linking...
    LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "Debug/test.exe"
    Error executing link.exe.

can you please tell me what I need to do to make it work like before reformatting my laptop?

btw. i know i need to use win 32 console application (project) and C++ Source file.

I had similar problem, the work around I use is to move the project folder from the default location from "C:\Program File\Microsoft Visual Studio\My Projects" to a folder I created which resides in my documents folder. Also, check the permission on the Project folder to ensure the current user has permission to modify/Full Control on the folder.

Regards

Monday, February 17, 2014 7:57 PM