none
ActiveX controls increases workbook startup/load time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have an Excel workbook with 220 OLEObjects/ActiveX controls. All of these ActiveX controls increases the workbook startup/load time (when opening the document; about 25 sec on my computer). When replacing the ActiveX controls with Form controls the startup/load time of the workbook is considerable reduced. Is there any way to speed up the startup/load time with ActiveX controls?

Friday, October 20, 2017 7:43 AM

All replies

• A large quantity of ActiveX controls will certainly increase load time. However an extra 25 sec for 220 controls is longer than I'd expect, in a light test with 250 aX checkboxes on the sheet the workbook took 6 seconds to load in an old low spec system. In comparison a similar number of Forms checkboxes took less than a second.

If you have separate events in the sheet module for each of your aX controls consider moving to a 'WithEvents' class with one set of event stubs for all your similar aX controls

Saturday, October 21, 2017 10:35 AM
  • A large quantity of ActiveX controls will certainly increase load time. However an extra 25 sec for 220 controls is longer than I'd expect, in a light test with 250 aX checkboxes on the sheet the workbook took 6 seconds to load in an old low spec system. In comparison a similar number of Forms checkboxes took less than a second.

If you have separate events in the sheet module for each of your aX controls consider moving to a 'WithEvents' class with one set of event stubs for all your similar aX controls

Thank you for your feedback. 

Ive ended up replacing the ax controls with form controls. 

However it would be interesting to know the technical explanation for why a relatively large number of ax controls affects the excel performance?

Sunday, October 22, 2017 7:06 AM
  • Hi qwezxc,

>> it would be interesting to know the technical explanation for why a relatively large number of ax controls affects the excel performance?

I assume this is related with that Form Controls are built-in control in Excel and ActiveX controls are loaded separately.

It seems your original issue has been resolved by replacing ax controls by Form controls, I would suggest you mark the helpful reply as answer which is the way to close a thread here.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:29 AM