none
Visual Studio Tools for Office RRS feed

• Question

• <object height="1" id="plugin0" style="position:absolute;z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="1"><param name="tabId" value="{AA2EAE93-1EBB-4865-9A2D-B601075083EA}" /></object>

According to Microsoft, Visual Studio Tools for Office (2010) is installed by default when you install Visual Studio Professional 2010. I took the default install originally. Now I am looking for the Word templates that Microsoft (MSDN) says you can add through the Add Procedure process. However, I do not see these (nor the Excel tools). I tried Setup again from the original install disk, but there is no separate listing for VSTO.

I do see Visual Studio Tools for Office (x64) runtime listed in the Windows list installed programs, but it does not show up as an Add-In withing Visual Studio Basic or anywhere in the ToolBox.

How can I get access to these tools?

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:27 PM

Answers

• The Office libraries are referd to as either PIAs or Interop.  The excel interop library is called

Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll

YOu can search your computer for this filename to get the exact location and the browse for the reference library.  If you can't find it on your computer you can download the "PIA Office Interop" by searching for the string in double quotes.

jdweng

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:36 PM

All replies

• The Office libraries are referd to as either PIAs or Interop.  The excel interop library is called

Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll

YOu can search your computer for this filename to get the exact location and the browse for the reference library.  If you can't find it on your computer you can download the "PIA Office Interop" by searching for the string in double quotes.

jdweng

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:36 PM
  • For your question is a special forum'

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto

Success
    Cor

Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:32 AM
  • <object height="1" id="plugin0" style=";z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="1"><param name="tabId" value="{6A87536A-C689-4943-94E7-4FBA7A4713BF}" /></object>Thanks Joel. I downloaded and installed the PIA Office Interop. I still can't see the templates but will take that question over to the VSTO forum.
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Sorry I did not see that forum. I will pursue this in the proper place. Thank you.
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:45 PM
  • YOu simply need to browse for the file I specified in my last posting.  I had the same problem after downloading the PIAs on my computer.

jdweng

Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:57 PM
  • <object height="1" id="plugin0" style="position:absolute;z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="1"><param name="tabId" value="{113A4FDB-9266-4213-9264-B35084A9E205}" /></object>

I need to be able to access the printing capabilities in Word and Excel in a VB 2010 app.

I downlead and installed the PIA files as suggested in another forum. I added the appropriate references for MS Office 2010.  As soon as I do that, I get the following errors:

Error 1 Cannot embed interop types from assembly 'Interop.VSTOEE100' because it is missing either the 'ImportedFromTypeLib' attribute or the 'PrimaryInteropAssembly' attribute.

Error 2 Cannot embed interop types from assembly 'Interop.VSTOEE100' because it is missing the 'Guid' attribute.

The supposed templates do not show up in add a form either.

Can someone point out what I doing wrong?

Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:09 PM
  • <object height="1" id="plugin0" style=";z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="1"><param name="tabId" value="{2A4B8025-82D7-4816-971C-2E2C054ABCF1}" /></object>

Sorry to be such a dunderhead, but I have done that and I get "no items match your search." All of the VSTO are listed in the References section with a correct path. I don't need the Excel one, but I do need Word and would like the Access version as well.

In the Windows list of programs I see "Microsoft Office 2010 Primary Interop Assemblies" and "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64)."

If I understand the directions on the VSTO help screen, once installed correctly, I should be able to open a new form with the template for the appropriate Office product--in my case, Word and possibly Access.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:12 PM
  • Not sure if you didn't find the file on your computer or didn't find the download for the PIA on the internet.  so I will answer both.

See this webpage for downloading and installing

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kh3965hw(v=vs.100).aspx

I seem to rember years ago having the a problem installing the PIA.  I think after downloading the pia you had to run a setup file or unzip (maybe both).  I had to search my C: drive to locate the files.  then had to browse for the reference from inside Visual Studio.  I stll today have to browse for the reference or go to the recently used references.

jdweng

Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:23 PM
  • <object height="1" id="plugin0" style=";z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="1"><param name="tabId" value="{2A4B8025-82D7-4816-971C-2E2C054ABCF1}" /></object>

Your original instructions were clear, so the problem was not in finding, downloading, and installing ithe PIA. I did follow the instructions which include both unzipping and running an exe file.

The problem is that I can't find the file you list on the computer. When I check the References list, these VSTO tools are all listed with the correct folder on the computer, so there isn't any need to browse for them--they are where they were installed. So the VSTO template does not show up in add a form, nor or any of the controls visible in the toolbox or available to add.

So the problem is that I can't use the feature in my app. I may just have to forget it, but printing a a multi-page document with code now in Visual Basic 2010 is a real labor--it was possible with fairly simple code in Visual Basic 6.0; I don't know why it and some other very useful functions in VB 6 were lost.

I do appreciate your trying to help. I will glady try any other suggestions you have.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:42 PM
  • The Interop libraries are slow compared to VB6 and VBA.  The Interop libraries use scripting to communicate between Visual Studio and the Excel Application.  the transition occur betwen Net 3.0 and Net 3.5.  I think it had to do with licencing of Office that made Microsoft make the changes.

jdweng

Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:58 PM
  • Hi FIW

Skimming through this discussion I can't find any information about whether you have Office installed on the development machine? And if you do, which version?

The VSTO templates won't show up in Visual Studio if a supported version of Office isn't already installed. For 2010 this would be either Office 2007 OR Office 2010. And only one version of Office may be present.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, October 5, 2012 7:51 AM
  • <object height="1" id="plugin0" style=";z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="1"><param name="tabId" value="{2726824D-BE93-49DE-B0FA-0FA2147DC22A}" /></object>

Thanks, Cindy. I have had Office 2010 installed for a long time before I upgraded to Visual Studio 2010. However, I had never attempted to use VSTO before. And there is only one version of Office 2010 on the development machine.

Any other thoughts?

Friday, October 5, 2012 5:05 PM
  • I finally tracked down the problem by immersing myself in the VSTO web pages. It is sort of like what Joel said in the beginning. The interop files are actually installed in two places--the app folders and global. They install automatically in the app folders, but if they were not already installed global when you first load Office 2010, which apparently happened with my installation because Office 2010 was on the development machine long before I upgraded to VS 2010, it must be done manually--or apparently, by also downloading and installing the redistribubale interop stuff, it works. This also means, at least that is what it says, with Net 4.0 the client machine does not have to have Office 2010 installed and you still can get the functionality of a word or other Office document.

Once I added the word interop and created a new project with a single form, Word opened automatically with a test run.

I appreciate everyone's offers of help--I thought I should close this off.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 9:37 PM