Azure VM instance role name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have VMs created on Azure and i renamed couple of them but still the name appeared like old on the portal I found some articles talking about it but I need real steps on how I can rename the instance role name. Thanks

Ahmed Ali

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you rename the hostname from the guest, the Azure portal should reflect the new name within a few minutes. Note that this changes just the instance name and not the DNS name (i.e. *.cloudapp.net) since the latter belongs to the cloud service. If you want to change the DNS name, you'll need to delete the cloud service, recreate it using the new name, and then redeploy the VM inside of it

If you are using powershell to manage VMs, perform an UPDATE operation for the changes to reflect.

Also you could try shutting down the Virtual Machine, logout from the Management Portal and login back to the Portal and check if it helps.

If the issue still persists, provide the steps taken by you to rename the VM instance along with VM Type ( Windows/Linux)

Hope this helps !

Regards,

Sowmya

• Proposed as answer by Sowmya K R Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sowmya K R Monday, September 8, 2014 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:16 PM
  • Hi x Ahmed Ali,

Thanks for your response.

Did you want the change the name instead of the host name,  just like the name 'Client1' below, right?

As far as i know, it's currently impossible to change the name without deleting and recreating the service.

Regards.

Vivian Wang

• Proposed as answer by Vivian_Wang Monday, September 1, 2014 5:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shirisha Paderu Tuesday, September 9, 2014 6:51 PM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 8:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you rename the hostname from the guest, the Azure portal should reflect the new name within a few minutes. Note that this changes just the instance name and not the DNS name (i.e. *.cloudapp.net) since the latter belongs to the cloud service. If you want to change the DNS name, you'll need to delete the cloud service, recreate it using the new name, and then redeploy the VM inside of it

If you are using powershell to manage VMs, perform an UPDATE operation for the changes to reflect.

Also you could try shutting down the Virtual Machine, logout from the Management Portal and login back to the Portal and check if it helps.

If the issue still persists, provide the steps taken by you to rename the VM instance along with VM Type ( Windows/Linux)

Hope this helps !

Regards,

Sowmya

• Proposed as answer by Sowmya K R Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sowmya K R Monday, September 8, 2014 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:16 PM
  • Thanks for your reply

actually i renamed the VM like on premise machine but it didn't reflected to the portal which is instance name and also i shutdowned  it by deprovisioning option but not help. 

Thanks,

Ahmed Ali

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

From your description, i suppose you rename the instance name through Computer-->Properties-->change computer name.

Please understand that Name does not refer to the hostname of your role instance in the Management Console.

If you change the hostname of your virtual machine, only the Host Name field is updated. The value in Name will remain unchanged. Name resolution is based on the value listed in Host Name.

For more detail information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj156072.aspx

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:16 AM
  • Yes i did that and i know it's just name but i need to change also the instance name.Thanks,

Ahmed Ali

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:19 AM
  • Hi x Ahmed Ali,

Thanks for your response.

Did you want the change the name instead of the host name,  just like the name 'Client1' below, right?

As far as i know, it's currently impossible to change the name without deleting and recreating the service.

Regards.

Vivian Wang

• Proposed as answer by Vivian_Wang Monday, September 1, 2014 5:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shirisha Paderu Tuesday, September 9, 2014 6:51 PM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 8:11 AM