Log Shipping Vs SQL Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I doing a plan to backup and restore the biztalk databases, but I dont know if I have a SQL Server on Cluster if is necessary to do all the Log Shipping Process that Microsoft recommends, because I think so that having SQL Cluster and do Log Shipping process is redundance.

And I believe is redundance because SQL Cluster is configured to be High Availability and  Log Shipping is a process to apply when you dont have the SQL Cluster, well at least on web page of Microsoft never specify to run Log Shipping process if you have SQL Cluster or not.

Please put me on right way if I wrong

Thanks in advanced.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 9:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is possible to simplify BizTalk Server log shipping by using two instances of a SQL Server cluster as the source and destination servers in a BizTalk Server log shipping scenario. Then, in the event of a disaster recovery event, database recovery is simplified by merely switching the name and IP address resources associated with the clustered SQL Server instances. For reference see BizTalk Server Log Shipping Using a Windows Cluster Name and IP Address and Advanced Information About Backup and Restore. Indeed clustering is for high availability as you state, as log-shipping has more to do with Disaster Recovery (another good resource is post by Nick Hepplestone!). Hopefully this information (links) will give you a better understanding.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers - MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    blog: http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    • Marked as answer by DannyOcean Friday, October 8, 2010 9:40 PM
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 11:05 PM