Unable to start NS instance service RRS feed

• Question

• Im going through the walkthrough stock example and when I get to the step where you start the NS$StockInstance service I get a 1053 Error: control did not respond to start or control request in a timely fashion.  Im running this on Windows XP sp2 with SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition.  Any ideas?
    Tuesday, June 28, 2005 5:24 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    The service does not require admin privileges. However, it does require specific permissions to access the NS databases. You're seeing it work because, when you give it admin privileges, it has permission to access everything.

We recommend that you NOT run the service as administrator (with one exception, which i'll explain below). Instead, you should configure the service to run as a low privileged account and grant it just the database permissions it needs.

Specifically, you need to create a login on the SQL server for the service user. You also need to grant that user access to the NS databases. The service user should also be a member of the NSRunService database role in each of the NS databases.

The only time you need to run the service as administrator is if you're using SMTP delivery to the local SMTP server. Because of the design of IIS, posting to the local SMTP server requires admin privileges. If you're using SMTP with a remote SMTP server, then admin privileges are not required.

I don't recall if the stock sample you're looking at uses local SMTP or not. Either way, the documentation should provide the exact steps you need to configure the permissions.

Hope this helps.
    -shyam
    Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:39 PM

All replies

• The user the service was running under didnt have administration privelages.  Works now!
    Tuesday, June 28, 2005 6:30 PM
  • Hello,
    The service does not require admin privileges. However, it does require specific permissions to access the NS databases. You're seeing it work because, when you give it admin privileges, it has permission to access everything.

We recommend that you NOT run the service as administrator (with one exception, which i'll explain below). Instead, you should configure the service to run as a low privileged account and grant it just the database permissions it needs.

Specifically, you need to create a login on the SQL server for the service user. You also need to grant that user access to the NS databases. The service user should also be a member of the NSRunService database role in each of the NS databases.

The only time you need to run the service as administrator is if you're using SMTP delivery to the local SMTP server. Because of the design of IIS, posting to the local SMTP server requires admin privileges. If you're using SMTP with a remote SMTP server, then admin privileges are not required.

I don't recall if the stock sample you're looking at uses local SMTP or not. Either way, the documentation should provide the exact steps you need to configure the permissions.

Hope this helps.
    -shyam
    Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:39 PM