none
FTDI driver installation in ICE RRS feed

• Question

• I need install FTDI driver for 1000+ devices. So I want included the "FTDI" driver package into a Windows Embedded standard 7 (WES7) image from ICE. So, when the FTDI driver will automatic installed for new device.

Thanks

Friday, August 9, 2013 3:28 PM

All replies

• Download,

extract gubbins,

put in suitable place in out-of-box-drivers,

import a pmq (or manually add) with the FTDI driver in.

Sorry, no FTDI here, they are really hard to find in Japan (everyone loves those horrible prolific chips) so I can't prove it, but it should be trivial.

=^x^=

Monday, August 12, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Please do the following steps:
    1. Named a folder called "FTDI" folder in Out-of-Box Drivers.
    2. Download the FTDI driver and put all unziped files in the FTDI folder
    3. Expand the Out-of-Box Drivers components to expose the FTDI folder and right click it. then choose Insert Driver Path to Pass 2 offlineServicing

When system boots up, you will find the FTDI driver will automatically be installed.

Monday, August 12, 2013 8:51 AM
  • I must be missing something.  I followed the steps above to create an FTDI directory in my Out-of-Box drivers portion of distribution share.  All the files are unzipped and copied directly under \FTDI

After installing the image using IBW on the target device, the FTDI does not get installed.

I end up resolving the issues by hand by copying the driver files to a thumb drive and running "updating driver" for "USB Serial Port" from Device Manager on the target device.

Does anyone have a notion of what I may be doing wrong?

Embedded Sr Software Engineer

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:06 PM
  • You need to import a pmq that has the FTDI device, or manually add it. See bagira520 above.

I don't have one, so I can't test drive this for you. But I have had it working before. 

It helps to have the ftdi plugged in at the time too ^^;

=^x^=

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:46 AM
  • The description above worked for me. Did you added the Folder to your XML followed step 3? 
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:47 PM
  • I was able to pre-install the latest FTDI UART drivers using the dpinst.exe program and a RunSynchronuous (RS) command.  The "CDM v2.10.00 WHQL Certified.exe" driver package from FTDI includes the dpinst.exe program in both x86 and amd64 versions. A separate utility, dp-chooser.exe, figures out what platform you are running.  This is how the FTDI installer works natively.  You can pick which dpinst program version based upon the type of platform you are installing to.  You will need to extract the FTDI driver .exe file to get at the components.

I created an $OEM$ Folder at c:\Drivers\ftdi and copied all of the FTDI driver install files here.  I then created an RS command with a "path = c:\Drivers\ftdi\dpinst-x86.exe /q" to perform a quiet install. The RS command is defined in Deployment and runs in pass P4.

I can plug in an FTDI USB UART device after the OS installation and the device is enumerated correctly and the FTDI driver loads.  May not be the most elegant solution, but it works.

Glenn

• Edited by GRacette Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:19 PM
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:16 PM