Connection Timeout question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to change default connection timeout by passing in the connection string the wanted value :

"DSN=MSSQLEXPRESS_LOCAL;UID=;PWD=;Trusted_Connection=Yes;DATABASE=DBTest_V2B;Connection Timeout=42"

Then when I look at ConnectionTimeout property inside my DBConnection the value is still the default one :

public DbConnection Connection { get; set; }

public virtual void Open()
            {
                if (Connection.State == ConnectionState.Closed)
                {
                    Connection.Open();
                }
            }

What am I missing ?

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:53 PM

Answers

• Off hand, I'd say it's a problem with the particular connection type that you're using not supporting that peropty from the connection string.  What kind of connections (SqlClient, OleDb, etc) are you making?  
    -cd Mark the best replies as answers!
    • Marked as answer by Cookie Luo Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:00 AM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:55 PM
  • "DSN=MSSQLEXPRESS_LOCAL;UID=;PWD=;Trusted_Connection=Yes;DATABASE=DBTest_V2B;Connection Timeout=42"

Hi

This connection string has told us he is making a sqlclient connection.

And code you privided has nothing to do with the previous one. Can you please provide some detailed code?

Cookie Luo[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 14, 2011 8:42 AM
  • Wow DSN.  I have not seen one of those used in a long long time.   Are DSN supported even with sqlclient?  I think they are only for odbc connections.

Why dont you just change to the name of the machine instead.  DSN is old arcane stuff.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:11 AM

All replies

• Please show a bit of code that demonstrates how you're instantiating your connection.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:50 PM
  • protected ConnectionFactory()
            {
                try
                {
                    _isConnectionRecycleEnabled = true;

DbProviderFactory factory = DbProviderFactories.GetFactory(ApplicationConfiguration.Instance.GetConfiguration("ConnectionType"));
                    if (factory == null)
                    {
                        return;
                    }

ConnectionName = ApplicationConfiguration.Instance.GetConfiguration("ConnectionName");

_connection = new DatabaseConnection();
                    _connectionString = ApplicationConfiguration.Instance.GetConfiguration("ConnectionString");
                    _connection.Factory = factory;
                    _connection.Connection = factory.CreateConnection();
                    _connection.Connection.ConnectionString = _connectionString;
                }
                catch (Exception)
                {
                    return;
                }
            }

Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:03 PM
  • Off hand, I'd say it's a problem with the particular connection type that you're using not supporting that peropty from the connection string.  What kind of connections (SqlClient, OleDb, etc) are you making?  
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:55 PM
  • "DSN=MSSQLEXPRESS_LOCAL;UID=;PWD=;Trusted_Connection=Yes;DATABASE=DBTest_V2B;Connection Timeout=42"

Hi

This connection string has told us he is making a sqlclient connection.

And code you privided has nothing to do with the previous one. Can you please provide some detailed code?

Cookie Luo[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 14, 2011 8:42 AM
  • Wow DSN.  I have not seen one of those used in a long long time.   Are DSN supported even with sqlclient?  I think they are only for odbc connections.

Why dont you just change to the name of the machine instead.  DSN is old arcane stuff.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:11 AM