none
WES8.1 Pagefile or No? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the collected wizdom on pagefiles for WES8.1?

I have a device with an mSATA ssd of limited capacity and 8Gb of ram. Do I even need a pagefile at all given that the only way I am going to run out is if the application goes space monkey and tries to eat everything.

If I do need a pagefile, why is there even an option for no pagefile?

Can I get away with the absolute minimum windows claims to want? 16mb.

(It claims with 8Gb of memory that 4584 mb is recommended, but I definitely won't be wasting that much space, it's bad enough with the OS wasting 12G already.)

=^x^=

Thursday, June 11, 2015 4:24 AM

All replies

• Difficult to answer the question since it is up to the needs of your application if the page file is needed or a small page file can be used.

Try the system with no page file and see if that works. Then enable the page file and see if the performance changes. If you see better performance, the you can adjust the size of the page file.

If a filter is being used, them the page file could be put on another partition.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, June 12, 2015 2:50 PM
  • It gets confusing very quickly.

All my previous images have had no pagefile. Just all of a sudden people are going "you have no pagefile, you need a pagefile" but they are unable to tell me exactly why.

Suffice it to say a certain AMD SOC has been functioning fine without until just recently, when the latest batch started freezing up. A token pagefile stops this yet it's not the application chewing up all memory.

The Intel image has been running fine for years without and in testing, the same AMD SOC image ran for 3 months playing mp4's all day without ever having a hiccup.

=^x^=

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 8:54 AM
  • Have you tried putting the Power setting into High Performance for the AMD processor?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:55 PM
  • I recommend to disable page file on your system. Because you storage is flash have P/E cycle issue.  (MLC Flash only 3000 times) .

Besides, Disable pagefile in ICE find Windows Embedded Core > Setup > PageFile > size,  set value "0"

Johnny Blog: http://johnny0627.blogspot.tw/

Thursday, June 18, 2015 3:34 AM