Visual Studio 2010 Performance RRS feed

• Question

• My Visual Studio 2010 is acting unbelievably slow.  I'm sure this is my fault, as I have 85 extensions installed, and I'm assuming one or more of them is causing the speed issues.

When extensions have caused errors in the past, I've used the process of elimination (disable half of them, restart, enable that half, disable the other half, restart).  That's a painfully long process, but works when I know what I'm looking for.  However, that won't work for tracking down an overall performance problem, since it's so subjective.

My question to you is: how do I go about pinpointing what's causing my speed issues?  Is there some log I can enable?  I'm willing to try anything that's not incredibly time-consuming.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Joshua,

You can use Profiler available in Visual Studio (You must have Premium or Ultimate)

Start 2 instances of VS. Attach the profiler in first VS to the second VS and try doing some stuff for some time. Than analyze the report.

• Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:36 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Joshua,

You can use Profiler available in Visual Studio (You must have Premium or Ultimate)

Start 2 instances of VS. Attach the profiler in first VS to the second VS and try doing some stuff for some time. Than analyze the report.

• Marked as answer by Victor_Chen Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:36 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Hi Joshua,

Is it resolved?

I'm going to close this thread, if you have further concern, be free to unmark it or post a new one.

Thanks for understanding

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:37 AM