none
different versions of .net RRS feed

• Question

• Please bear with me if I am in a different tread. I do need some help either directly or to where find the answers.

I have a home based computer P4-2ghz, 1gig ram and 100+megs hds. It runs WinXP-Home sp2. Since the last windows automatic update runs very very slow. I want to delete some installations and here is my question. I found out that '.Net Framework' is installed, shown from v1.1, 1.1 hotfix, 2.0 service pack, 3.0 service pack and the latest 3.5. Most likely the original .net framework was installed some time ago (I have had the hh update some time ago). Also installed are the 'ms user-mode driver framework feature pack 1.0', 'ms silverlight', 'ms visual basic c++ 2005 redistributable' and 'ms web publishing wizard'.

Are all the files related to ".net framework" part of MS-WindowsXP components? Can all be deleted? If not (say are necessary to run windows or other softwares) can I delete all, and re-install only the latest version? Are any of the other above mentioned installations related to .net?

I have tried to contact microsoft support but can only access it paying. I am not a developer or programmer, only a home user interested in new software.

Please accept my thanks for your help. If the post is too long or complex I can be accessed at frank@fsg.com.au.

Thanks all.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:12 AM

Answers

• Hi

Not all the programs mentioned above are a part of the .NET Framework.

'MS user-mode driver framework feature pack 1.0' - This is a device driver development platform which prevents some drivers from being able to access the kernel to minimize the damage a badly written driver can inflict on a machine. This shouldn't be uninstalled.

'MS SilverLight' - is a web browser plugin that facilitates web application development such as animation, audio and video playback and rich graphics experience. This is similar to the Adobe Flash, Java Fx, Apple Quicktime, etc and can be uninstalled.

'MS Visual Basic C++ 2005' - this is a programming language and development environment for the COM programming model. If you do not use your machine for developing code, you can uninstall this.

Thanks

Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:33 PM
  •  

no its ok you dont need .NET 1.1. just install whatever .NET Framework version you need to use or your applications need to use
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 6:40 AM

All replies

• Hi

Not all the programs mentioned above are a part of the .NET Framework.

'MS user-mode driver framework feature pack 1.0' - This is a device driver development platform which prevents some drivers from being able to access the kernel to minimize the damage a badly written driver can inflict on a machine. This shouldn't be uninstalled.

'MS SilverLight' - is a web browser plugin that facilitates web application development such as animation, audio and video playback and rich graphics experience. This is similar to the Adobe Flash, Java Fx, Apple Quicktime, etc and can be uninstalled.

'MS Visual Basic C++ 2005' - this is a programming language and development environment for the COM programming model. If you do not use your machine for developing code, you can uninstall this.

Thanks

Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:33 PM
  • Thank Saurabh. I'll keep your suggestions in mind and are useful understanding what is installed. What overall I need to know is if the framework is a core component of Windows and if not to safely uninstall all of them. It is a bit frustrating when at work use macintosh that start within one minute, other pc machines that take approx 2 min startup but at home takes 5 to 10 min startup. Sometime ago my computer was installed with softwares that are creating slowdowns but cannot pinpoint the origin. Again thanks.

Friday, April 25, 2008 12:45 AM
  • .NET Framework doesnt impact performance of a computer at all..... if you uninstall a. NET Framework version, you risk making some applications or components not work... therefore it is suggested and recommended you keep things as is. the .NET Framework kicks in when a .NET Application is beginning executing. So, look somewhere else for the slowness of the computer

Also remember, the platforms are different and have different ways of doing things

Friday, April 25, 2008 12:55 AM
  •  I have the same question the other guy had...

I just found out that I have Net Framework 2 sp1 installed but I dont have Net Framwork 1.1 is that ok or do these programs need the earlier versions...  My whole computer is must up for this reason... For instint I have like 8 or 10 versions of Abode Acrobat installed and I dont use it except some program said I had to have it !!!    I have like 5 versions of Java and I dont even drink coffee and I'm sure my computer doesn't either...

Isn't there any BASIC Info on this type of stuff anywhere....      help.. please.. help...ple ------ We're Sorry but you         have been discontact !!!  NOOOOOOO

Thank You to anyone for any Info

Hex 

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:47 AM
  •  

no its ok you dont need .NET 1.1. just install whatever .NET Framework version you need to use or your applications need to use
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 6:40 AM

• Oh, Great... Thank you,  now I need to go speak to those Abobe Dudes and ask the same question !!!   

Hex

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:54 AM