none
Errors in the Status Update History - Tasks not updated in Project Plan RRS feed

• Question

• I am finding error status entries in the Status Update History table and task are not completing.  One example is a user reassigns a team task to themselves and submits this for approval.  In the Status update table the task appears with a Status of ERROR and the info tells me “The update was not applied due to a conflict”.  The second error then appears when the user adds time to this task and to PM approves it (I think I understand this since the original task did not complete).  The result is that these tasks are not updating the project plan, but are appearing as Complete on the resource task list.

There are two types of errors appearing that I have found so far:

1.       The update was not applied due to conflict

2.       There was an internal error applying the update

How do I handle these errors and clear them?  I want to keep the updates and the projects in line if possible.

Thanks!

Brad

I should have included that I am working in PWA 2010

• Edited by Brad Kaus Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:09 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:05 PM

All replies

• I think there may be a light at the tunnel.  Please forgive the dumb questions or suggestions I make because I have no idea of your configuration.  Is the team member also included individually in the resource plan and project schedule?  Has someone else already picked up that team task?  Has the project owner changed at any time? 

My quick solution is to delete the task and recreate it making sure the resource has been published in the resource pool and project team.  That will take care of the project owner question.  There may be a rights issue in their rights for the security category. 

Has this worked before should have been my first question and do you use AD sync is the second.

The long answer will have to wait for now.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Angel,

Thanks for the inputs.

This resource and team assignment are active on the project and this arrangement has worked on this and other project plans a number of times successfully.  There is another resource on this task (as there have been on all the others that worked) and the project owner has remained constant.  We do have AD sync, but is currently turned off because it was causing issues with deactivating resources each time it synced and we are working on that separately, so I don't think this is an issue at this point that would impact this issue.

I am also looking for overall guidance on how to handle the errors appearing in the Status Update History table.

Thanks!

Brad

Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Brad:

The self-assign team tasks are designed to be performed by one resource only, and doesn't support multiple resources. Are you assigning a resource and a Team Resource to a single task? If so, I think that may be the "conflict" you're having.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, October 3, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Gary,

I am not seeing this to be the case.  We are assigning a developer (by name) and the QA team to a task on the project plan.  The QA person who will work the task then assigns him or herself to the task and works it to completion.  We do this all the time, and this is the first time the error on approval has popped up.

Because I could not get a lead on how to address this, I went in and changed to work on the task in the project plan and saved and published.  This caused the task to be assigned to the QA Team in PWA.  I was then able to assign the task as a QA resource, to myself, have the PM approve this and add the time needed to work the task.  All of the approvals processed with no problem.

Not sure this was the route to take, but needing to clear this, it seemed to work.

Brad

Monday, October 3, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Glad you got yourself unblocked Brad.  We have fixed a few things around the application of status updates, and certainly some that may have given that 'conflict' message.  Not sure exactly what caused your issue and may be too late to find out retrospectively, but it may be worth ensuring you have the latest Cumulative Update (August 2011 at the time of writing) to get the benefit of these fixes.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, October 10, 2011 6:04 PM
    Owner
  • We are seeing this as well. Specially in the case mentioned by Brad.

• A task is assigned to a "team"
    • Somene from the "team" goes to the "team assignments" and self assigns the task
    • That person then goes to their own "tasks" and finish the task, send for approval

We have auto-approval and auto-publish rules setup (environment is Project Server 2010 with SP1 and June CU Refresh). The person is in the enterprise team so that's not an issue (was fixed in SP1). We are not using Timesheets.

The Project Manager (Status Manager) when reviewing the Approval Status Update often see this Status Error with "The update was not applied due to conflict".

This is not occuring 100%, but in random which is making it more difficult.

We can't simply release updates/patches as they come along due to the nature of our deployment and testing cycles involved.

Any insights would be quite helpful - as currently we are manually updating on errors.

Nilesh Kelkar | nkelkar.wordpress.com
    Friday, January 27, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Hi Nilesh, might be best to open a support incident.  We can then hopefully isolate the specific cause and understand if there is an exact fix for it yet (I appreciate it can be hard to always load each CU).  We can also help with getting the updates re-applied to get the system straight.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, January 27, 2012 5:16 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Brian. I should also mention this behaviour.

• The resource "reassigns" the task to self at timestamp ABC. This is automatically sent for approval from the Status Manager, and we have a rule for auto approving and auto publishing all task reassignments.
    • The resource "completes" the task at timestamp DEF, and sends it for approval to the Status Manager (using Send for Approval)

Now here is the FUN PART - if there is no difference in timestamp of ABC and DEF, i.e. the reassignment and completion are done almost in real time, then I have a good chance that I will see this error. See below, the timestamps of WHEN the update was approved, in this case the difference is a minute.

Drumroll.... Now if there is a substantial difference in timestamp of ABC and DEF, i.e. the reassignment and completion are done after couple of hours (or days), there is a good chance, the update will be accepted. See below, the timestamps for Approval have a good couple of days between them.

This could very well be the Server has challenges in applying the two consecutive updates for the same task (approve and publish), although this should be taken care of.

So what we are attempting this week is to test this "theory" and have the team members put in a time lag between self reassignment and completion, and then compare our status history list.

I will post back with our answers if we were successful or not.

Nilesh Kelkar | nkelkar.wordpress.com
    Friday, January 27, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Good analysis Nilesh,

It could be that it is trying to apply all updates in the same status updates session (you might even see some 'skipped for optimization' messages if this is the case) and hitting some concurrency problems with the order of applying the updates.  Let me know how your tests go.

Best regards,

Brian.

Friday, January 27, 2012 6:52 PM
    Owner
  • Brian,

I am tagging this issue because we discovered that we were having this issue across the board with all tasks for three projects.  We just completed the most recent CU (we were a bit behind) and the PMs are now able to accept updates for those projects without getting those errors. (the line turns red in the "status update" history and the error is "There was an internal error applying the update", these are NOT team assignment tasks)

What we'd like to know is how to clear these errors.  We have had the resources resubmit, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  If they put hours on the same task in a different week it can be accepted, but the previous failed time does not show up.

Does "delete" from the history window delete the line item in the history, or the submission?  I'm very close to opening a ticket but I haven't had much luck with that in the past.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:44 PM
  • We are also wondering how to clear these errors.  We have had the resources resubmit, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  If they put hours on the same task in a different week it can be accepted, but the previous failed time does not show up.

Does "delete" from the history window delete the line item in the history, or the submission?  Can the intitial process be run to correct the error.  If so, what should we look for?

Thanks!

Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Firstly apologies ElliJ for not picking up your response to this thread back in February, and to IA Rick, the delete will only delete the items from the history page.  As per the hover over text on the Delete Item button "Delete the selected items from your history page.  Deleting items does not remove the updates from the project if they have already been published".  It will not allow you to delete items with a status of Pending - I don't currently have an approval showing Error - so not sure if it also stops you deleting those too.  We have fixed a number of conditions that can lead to these kind of failures, so certainly worth being patched up to date with Cumulative Updates on the server - if you still get unexplained failures that will not clear then best to open a support incident.  Also sorry to hear this has not worked well for you in the past Elli, but feel free to e-mail me - brian.smith@microsoft.com - along with the case number, if you feel you are not getting the service you deserve.

Best regards,

Brian.

Friday, May 25, 2012 10:58 PM
    Owner
  • Brian,

Deleting the tasks from the history solved the issue for us.  Thanks for following up, I have also sent you an email.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:49 PM
  • Did deleting the tasks from the update fix the issue; i.e., did the update get applied to the project?

(We have the December 2011 CU)

We are having this occur and did open a support ticket some time ago. The response on the support ticket was that it was in the queue of bugs to be fixed, but there were no promises about when it would be fixed. I also have the concern about the fix: will the fix retroactively apply the time to the projects or will it just prevent it from happening?

We have this problem across multiple projects and it is now impacting approximately 60% of our projects. Something on the order of 5% of our reported hours are not getting into the projects, causing all kinds of issues with proper progress reporting and impacting financial management of the projects as well.

Jfb

Friday, July 27, 2012 11:38 PM
  • Jim,

In my recollection, after the CU, the updates that we couldn't delete or apply had to have new tasks created, or the work had to be manually entered in those projects for those few instances.  We didn't have nearly as many of these tasks as you seem to, it was a total of about 10 across three projects. I hope you find a solution!

• Edited by ElliJ Monday, July 30, 2012 9:29 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 9:28 PM
  • After applying the June 2012 CU, we found that we had database performance issues. Once we applied the recommended SQL Server maintenance on the database, we have not had any further errors of this type.

-Jim

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Hi Everybody

Im having this issue with TFS 2012 and Project Server 2013, reading this post I see the problem solution was apply CU, but I´d think in this version that Im using this must not happen. What did you mind with "Deleting the tasks from the history solved the issue for us".

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your help. Im in a pilot of TFS in my company and having problems I think, Its going to be hard the approval por buy it.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:24 PM