Petition - bring start menu back for non-touch devices

General discussion

• You are forcing your choice on us. Windows 7 nailed the user interface for desktop and non-touch devices. Please bring it back. You can keep metro for touch devices. You can integrate metro on non touch devices by making it more like widgets in windows 7 but keep the desktop paradigm the same. Do not force the metro on desktop, it is lame, inefficient and useless. It is designed for damn fingers and not mouse/keyboard you morons.

You are alienating 350m users for 20m users of tablet market. Do not f^ck it up like Vista.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:45 PM

All replies

• I hope Microsoft does not screw this one. Windows 7 is so good.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:46 PM
  • I agree, you need to keep the Start Menu.

The metro start screen is only good for a few apps. What happens if a user has 1000 programs? it would be a nightmare to find anything and to keep it organised.

In Windows 7 you can't pin files or folders to the Taskbar, only programs (A problem I was hoping would be fixed in Windows 8). That leaves the Start Menu as the only place to put a Shortcut to a file or folder (unless you use desktop icons). With the Start Menu removed there is no way to quickly access a regularly used folder.

Why does it have to be one or the other, keep the start menu AND access the Metro start screen from some other location. (The Top left corner is not used for anything).

Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:02 AM
  • On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 08:02:41 +0000, Boots112233 wrote:

In Windows 7 you can't pin files or folders to the Taskbar, only programs (A problem I was hoping would be fixed in Windows 8).

But you can pin documents to the jump list. If you drag and drop a
    document to the Taskbar for which there is no app currently pinned, it will
    create an icon for the app with the document pinned to the jump list. Any
    subsequent docs dragged there will add themselves to the jump list.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Manual Writer's Creed:  Garbage in, gospel out.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:26 AM
  • But you can pin documents to the jump list. If you drag and drop a

document to the Taskbar for which there is no app currently pinned, it will
    create an icon for the app with the document pinned to the jump list. Any
    subsequent docs dragged there will add themselves to the jump list.

I am aware of jump lists and how they work, but I would like one click access to files and folders not just programs. In Windows 95 to Vista the Quicklaunch toolbar

let users click a shortcut to a file, a folder or a program it did not treat them differently the way Windows 7 does.

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:33 PM
  • You are forcing your choice on us. Windows 7 nailed the user interface for desktop and non-touch devices. Please bring it back. You can keep metro for touch devices. You can integrate metro on non touch devices by making it more like widgets in windows 7 but keep the desktop paradigm the same. Do not force the metro on desktop, it is lame, inefficient and useless. It is designed for damn fingers and not mouse/keyboard you morons.

You are alienating 350m users for 20m users of tablet market. Do not f^ck it up like Vista.

I agree !

- I will go for Windows 8 if it can boot into a desktop interface with a startmenu = Windows 7.

- I never want to see or use the Metro interface as long as it remains that ugly.

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Couldn't agree more. I sincerely hope MS is going to let each Windows 8 user choose if he prefers the old Win32 Explorer over the new one. In that case, the Start Menu is mandatory. The actual preview is ridiculous in that regard.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:53 PM

Windows 8 is designed to bring the look and feel of the windows 7 phone to average user PC. True it may not look just as good but its a new way for pc users to get use to the phone as well (from my point of view). If you don't like it then just either wait for some big update thats lets you change between the features of 8 and 7 or just not use it at all. I do not want to see the forums turn into a riot just because of some "problem". 
    I love testing out very buggy systems. Favorite OS: Windows Whistler. Consoles: Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, Gamecube, PC
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:57 PM
  • I like the new Metro UI (overall), but the new Start menu is severely crippled.  I agree that the desktop UI should use the Win7 Start Menu.  This was one of the best things about Windows 7.  It works great with a keyboard and mouse and there was no reason to change it.

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Here is a concept of desktop start menu I made:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/pra_viilon/start-menu-concept.png

I believe MS guys could implement something like this. Another thing would be adding "close app" to the metro charms.

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:24 PM
  • 100% support. Keep the Metro UI default for tablets. For laptops and desktops, make the traditional desktop the default. Another improvement that can be made is allow user to set what UI to open depending on what input device he uses.

- If using the mouse to click Start button, open Start menu.

- If using the keyboard to click Start button, open Start menu.

- If using a touch device to tap Start button, open Start screen.

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:19 PM
  • I have to agree with the masses, Metro is fine for tablets, but is horrible for PC's.  

- Bring back the old start menu

- Allow me to have toobars on my apps

- win + tab should cycle apps like it does on windows 7

The enhancements to the desktop are great (copy, etc.) but metro is pretty bad for a full PC.  Make metro an app, or ask users what they prefer on installation, don't force metro on us.

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:28 PM
  • I think the start screen should be prominent on touch-enabled desktops, default on tablet devices, and turned off (or at least dual mode) on non-touch hardware. Mouse/Keyboard works great with the current start menu. Mac OS X did not remove the dock when iOS came out for iPad/iPhone. Imagine the fallout if it did! We should not lose our start menu in Windows 8.

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:38 PM
  • I agree.. scrolling left and right with mouse on Metro UI is no fun!!
    Regards, Adarsha
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:18 PM
  • I actually think I just figured out a great solution for this desktop/metro controversy.

It includes multiple-desktop support, a start menu, a metro start screen and more integration of the desktop as a "metro app" - all without changing anything that has been said by msft so far.

In fact, it improves on it. 

Gonna create a mockup tonight and post a new thread, would love some thoughts on the matter.

Considering everything I've read here thus far, I'm thinking this way of working would make everybody happy.  Especially me, LOL.

Stay tuned :-)

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:37 PM
  • I was thinking of something along the lines of the Aero-peek hotspot.

Put another hotspot, similarly sized, right next (to the left of) the Aero-peek, and when you touch it (hover) with the mouse Metro pops up.  Then if you move your mouse pointer into the Metro "popup" it sticks around, or, even better, sticks around if you click inside it.  This would let the live tiles work like today's gadgets so you could see the outside temperature, stocks, whatever, and only fully switch to metro with a click.

For a non-touch desktop (or laptop) this makes Metro available at my discretion.

Obviously the implication is the desktop is the default on non-touch machines, and Metro is in essence a really big "sidebar on demand".

I'll leave how to get back to the desktop unsolved at this point, but a similar hotspot might be a good solution if the Metro team could stand having such a thing...

DAS

• Edited by Win7Tester Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:01 PM updated (hover) and return
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:56 PM