none
LastModificationTime is changed in an obscure way RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with synchronization with Outlook.
    I create an Appointment programmatically and call Save() method for this appointment. 
    LastModificationTime property of appoinment is changed just after the save() (it is ok).
    But in several seconds LastModificationTime is changed again. PR_CHANGE_KEY and PR_PREDECESSOR_CHANGE_LIST properties are also changed.
    My Outlook is connected to Exchange server. If I unplug a network cable this problem does not occurs.
    So, does Exchange modifies my appointment? Why does Exchange do it?
    How I can identify in my program who changes the appointment ( either it is objectionable Exchange's change of it is Outlook customer who change the appointment )?

Thanks in advance

Monday, February 8, 2010 6:51 PM

Answers

• It seems the problem was because of cache mode.
    If appointment is open without MAPI_NO_CACHE LastModificationTime changes just after the Save() and this value differs from the value which is returned in new session. 
    Using MAPI_NO_CACHE solves the problem.

• Proposed as answer by Brad Hards Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Chris Mullaney Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:50 PM
  • Eugen79,

There are 3 possible reasons to this:

1.       RopImportMessage causing an additional change that gets synced back to Outlook, which in turn increments CN beyond what was submitted to Outlook.

2.       Calendar Logging / Fix-up is changing something.

3.       Client-resolved conflict. There should be a conflict message in sync issues. 

I will need a trace to further diagnose what the issue could be. Please e-mail the trace to dochelp (at) winse.microsoft.com.

Dominic Michael Salemno
    Senior Support Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC Protocols Team

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:12 PM

All replies

• Eugen79,

Thank you for your questions. I am the engineer who has taken ownership of your inquiries and will be updating you as things progress.

Dominic Michael Salemno
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Eugen79,

Could you send me some traces of what you are experiencing to dochelp (at) winse.microsoft.com ?

Dominic Michael Salemno
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:14 PM
  • It seems the problem was because of cache mode.
    If appointment is open without MAPI_NO_CACHE LastModificationTime changes just after the Save() and this value differs from the value which is returned in new session. 
    Using MAPI_NO_CACHE solves the problem.

• Proposed as answer by Brad Hards Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Chris Mullaney Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:50 PM
  • But why does Exchange change appointment when it is opened in cache mode (without MAPI_NO_CACHE)? If I save appointment without MAPI_NO_CACHE then I get modified LastModificationTime/PR_CHANGE_KEY after synchronization with Exchange. Why it is so and how to avoid this in cache mode?
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Eugen79,

I am currently researching this for you.

Dominic Michael Salemno

Monday, March 22, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Eugen79,

I am still investigating this for you.

Dominic Michael Salemno

Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Eugen79,

I am still investigating this matter and will have some information shortly.

Dominic Michael Salemno

Thursday, April 22, 2010 2:27 PM
  • Eugen79,

There are 3 possible reasons to this:

1.       RopImportMessage causing an additional change that gets synced back to Outlook, which in turn increments CN beyond what was submitted to Outlook.

2.       Calendar Logging / Fix-up is changing something.

3.       Client-resolved conflict. There should be a conflict message in sync issues. 

I will need a trace to further diagnose what the issue could be. Please e-mail the trace to dochelp (at) winse.microsoft.com.

Dominic Michael Salemno

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:12 PM